Holley or Edelbrock? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Holley or Edelbrock?

Hey fellas! Just wanted to start a friendly debate. about holley and edelbrock products. I myself am a holley fan and love their products and would never consider using anything else for mild street/strip applications. I am not a pro on the subject of carbs and such thinsgs. i just know i have never had a problem with their products that couldnt be solved with common sense and proper tuning procedures. Well thats my opinion let me know what some of yours are. thanks guys!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

As far as carbs go, generally Eddys are cheaper, Holley's much more tunable, but pricier.

For max performance, Holley or Holley knock-offs are the best bet, IMO. Toilet bowls and Predators et al never seem to have put much of a dent in that market.

AFA intakes go, you see the occasional Holley, but Eddy's are much more prevalent. Whether that is indicative of the quality or performance or price, I really can't say.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

I agree with Cobalt, you will rarely see anything other than a Holley carb or Holley-like carbs on most any serious race car, whether its drag, circle track(dirt or asphalt),offshore boat racing or any other racing venue. Just go to any NHRA or IHRA national event, or NASCAR race and see. I think Edelbrock makes far better intakes for performance than they do performance carbs, their carbs seem to be more used in mostly milder street car and cruising applications where they seem to do good for those applications.... I give one vote for Holley carbs and one vote for Edelbrock intakes as being the better choice for all out performance expectations....
Old 05-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

I agree with the two post above.

holley carbs are much better than edelbrock carbs, but edelbrock makes better intakes.

furthermore.

holley electric fuel pumps suck (loud as hell).

edelbrock mechanical fuel pumps work great.

holley heads and edelbrock heads are about the same.

I do run a holley intake on my 454 because it has a square bore carb flange and was cheaper than the edelbrock performer or RPM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

click, I just heard a can of worms being opened. I would suggest you use the search funtion, and read through the pages of pages that have already been discussed about holleys and edelbrocks on the forum, and make your own opinion. This thread will probably turn into a head banging match, and not awnser your question. I run edelbrock on my truck.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:24 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'll sweeten the pot w/this gem- I've used darned near every carb out there.

Love the Q-Jet. Holley's are fine even have an Edelbrock Carter knock-off that does OK.

The worst of them all was the Thermoquad. Good idea, just plain bad manufacturing and material choice, IMHO.

Next worst was a Holley Model ?? that a buddy bought for his Pontiac 406. It had removable boosters and was built something like a Carter AFB-type carb. Was one of the first that came ball tumbled silver.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude
I agree with Cobalt, you will rarely see anything other than a Holley carb or Holley-like carbs on most any serious race car, whether its drag, circle track(dirt or asphalt),offshore boat racing or any other racing venue. Just go to any NHRA or IHRA national event, or NASCAR race and see. I think Edelbrock makes far better intakes for performance than they do performance carbs, their carbs seem to be more used in mostly milder street car and cruising applications where they seem to do good for those applications.... I give one vote for Holley carbs and one vote for Edelbrock intakes as being the better choice for all out performance expectations....
I also agree with cobalt & cnc -Dude. Holley as far as the carb goes and like the edelbrock intakes. Even though i really like my holley dominator intake on my 408 in my camaro. Just had to add that part. Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 05-01-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

good stuff guys.i'am in the middle of deciding on a edelbrock performer intake 3706 or holly 300-64 for my caprice 5.7 350.still not sure.....JOE
Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I prefer Holleys, and have always had better luck getting a Holley to work right than an Edelbrock, especially on anything with more than a moderate cam.

I never had the problems with Holleys that most complain about, like leaking bowls and too many adjustment variables, and I'd rather have a stand alone power valve that will blow out than play with springs and needles. ( the Spectre blow out prevention kit needs special attention in order to get it installed, the drills that come with it are just plain WRONG)

That being said, I swapped the 650 Holley spreadbore on my Blazer for a Edelbrock , only because I was too lazy to rebuild the Holley...when I rebuild the Holley, the Edelbrock is coming off and going back in the carb pile...

I did replace the thermoquad on my 440 dodge motorhome with a carter AFB (looks like a edelbrock/weber/carter... wth is the diff?), and after I modified it to play nice with the stupid Dodge EGR system it works ok. It even passes smog.

I'm not super carb tuner guy, but still like Holleys over Edelbrocks.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

I've run both carbs as well and no complaints with the Edelbrock (600 cfm) carb. It's a matter of choice. Edelbrock is reliable, and is a great carb for a daily driver or cruiser. If you want your engine to wake up and perform on the street or strip, it's not going to happen with the Edelbrock. I tried everything to make the carb run at its peak performance and still felt like I was running a two barrel carb. I switched to the Holley and it was like day and night. My friends thought I switched engines. The engine came unglued like it had four barrels. The Holley is much easier to adjust and you don't need springs/ rods and a computer analysis diagram on making the carb richer or leaner. I gave my Edelbrock to my cousin for his daily driver. Edelbrock will save you gas, because you rarely put your foot into it. It's a good cruiser carb! I've noticed a majority of cars that have serious horsepower at shows or the track are running Holley's. That might give you a clue?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Never had a problem with an Edelbrock and it remains my carb of choice. Very simple tuning and they just plain run. My 750 on my modded ZZ4 even made 8 more ponies than the chokeless Holley that was on there.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I stick with Quadrajets. For a street car, a correctly tuned Quadrajet it hard to beat. Small primaries make for fuel injection throttle response and sensitivity. The huge secondaries are there when maximum air flow is needed. Quadrajets are "Air Dam" carbs, meaning they give what the engine demands in air flow. Tuning a Quadrajet is a little more tricky than a holley but the rewards are greater. But I agree, if easy tunability is what your after a Holley is the way to go. I personally hate Edelbrock carbs. Many look at a Quadrajet and are intimidated, so comes all the foul names given to it. However, lastly I`ll say this as a fellow member of this board has said so many times, a carb is as good as the guy tuning it.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM

Last journal entry: new et streets
Last photo:

whats wrong with the holley electric pump
its not too noisy your exhaust is just not loud enough
Old 05-02-2009, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

mallory fuel pumps are the electrics to use. quiet as a church mouse.

I threw 2 edelbrocks in the thrash. both vapor locked and both developed a sticky throttle due to the rubber accelerator pump seal digging into the pump cylinder. cheap design. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

[QUOTE=cobalt327]
The worst of them all was the Thermoquad. Good idea, just plain bad manufacturing and material choice, IMHO.[QUOTE]

Oh man. The best street carb I've ever had was a TQ. Ya, they have their problems but once you learn them, they run great and are not hard to tune on. The biggest problem with them is the phenolic resin main well and adjusting the secondary air door if you don't have the correct tool and most didn't. The main well was subject to warping especially if the engine was overheated but it did keep the fuel cooler. Anyways, a lot of guys run pretty fast in Nostalgia Super Stock with other than Holley. If your car didn't come from the factory with a Holley, you can't use one and most of those old cars didn't. I also like Holleys for racing but when you can't use one, ya gotta make do. Mopars used the AFB on a lot of their cars and they can be made to run pretty dang good. One Holley model I didn't care for was the one that came on some slant 6's. Can't remember the model but it was a single barrel and the float bowl only had 2 screws and most of the time, someone overtightened them making it almost useless.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.