Hot Rod Forum banner

Holley or Edelbrock? Is 600 CFM enough

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jag Daddy 
#1 ·
I'm looking at replacing my old tired Qjet sometime in the future. Would you go with a Holley or Edlebrock for a 400 SBC?

Also is 600 CFM enough or should I go bigger?

Regards
Mark:thumbup:

#6 ·
Id stay with a Qjet, but if I decided to buy aftermarket, it would depend. if its a stock 400, than youll never see 5000 RPMs, a 600 cfm would be perfect, I prefer Holley personally. I wouldnt put a 750 on it unless I plan to run it to 6000RPMs.

#8 ·
Isn't the Edelbrock a Qjet copy? One of the man reasons I'm asking is a friend of mine has a Holley 600 CFM sitting in his garage for 20.00. I was thinking after a rebuild it would still be cheaper than the new Edelbrock. I might just get it for a spare anyway.

How hard is it to interchange Holley with a Qjet anyway? Cabling etc.

Regards

#11 ·
Edelbrock does offer a Qjet, but when you said 600 cfm & Edelbrock I assume you mean the square flange edelbrock, Edelbrocks version of the AFB.
Sorry at first I was referring to the regular Edelbrocks. Well the Holley I was referring to came off a SBC so how hard would it be to get it to work.

20.00 for the Holley I couldn't pass it up, it even had an electric choke. I guess I could rebuild it and sell it. The Qjet I have needs a new choke and a I'm sure a rebuild wouldn't hurt. I looked at the electric choke kit for it and it wasn't cheap. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Regards

#12 · (Edited)
I seen a pontiac ventura with a 455 run a 10.83 with a 600 vac sec carb that had no other work other than a jet change. So you reall don't have to worry about the carb being too small. You could slap an adaptor on and a throttle bracket and it would go down the road. Be aware that that type of adaptor doesn't make a real smooth transition to the manifold. What ever carb you use get the manifold that fits it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.