Holley electric choke operation on startup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley electric choke operation on startup

Hello guys I just have a quick question on my 350 sbc with a holley carb and my electric choke operation on cold start up . Everything is all up to spec such as timing,ignition etc and all things are good along with carb adjustments such as idle mixture screws, idle setting etc and no vacuum leaks etc.

Ok my electric choke is set two notches lean from the middle index mark and when I go to start it up I give it a few small shots of gas and then proceed to turn my key over and it instantly fires up and will be about 1200 rpm and it will seem to be just a tad rich and it will gargle just a hair for about twenty seconds or so if I don't touch the gas pedal then it seems like it might want to quit from richness (no black smoke from pipes) but I just open the pedal a very faintly tap and its hardly nothing and the idle will pick up to 1600 rpm where I have it set at for fast idle.

Is that normal operation for the electric choke on start up for the engine being cold?
After the idle is up to 1600 rpm the engine is running smoothly and during cold start up there is no black smoke coming out the pipes or anything and choked does open up just fine as engine heats up and is hooked up to a correct 12 volt source and also during cranking the engine the first time the choke flap does open about 1/8 of an inch or so and seems the pull off is working properly as well.

I did have it only one notch lean past the middle index mark and it seems like stated above it was just a tad rich on first start up but after twenty seconds or so its seems fine and I turned it two more notches lean and it still seems to make no difference so is what I am experiencing normal for a carbureted engine with an electric choke?

Thanks guys
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Straight electric chokes are always a compromise, I've never found you can get them perfect for every weather condition. This is why most factory engines used some type of hot manifold or stove connection to improve their accuracy.

I'll be honest, I've played with Holleys idea of an electric choke and never been happy with the compromise and switched over to a manual choke at some point. The Ford carb version with the hot air tube from the exhaust manifold seemed to work the best but not much use on a Chevy.

You need to play around with the setting and even adjust your idle mixture to get a good compromise, I know in our cold winters I had a summer setting and a winter setting to get decent operation.

Sounds like your on the right track but need to fine tune how open the air plate is at idle and get the high idle to an rpm which is acceptable. I know on my last 351W with 290 cam and 650DP high idle at -40C was around 1200 but you couldn't leave the car because as soon as it warmed up that setting would be around 4000 rpm. Ran out on many a cold morning to kick her down before she was screaming...the neighbors really liked me.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
...Is that normal operation for the electric choke on start up for the engine being cold?
Everything you describe is normal. The only thing I might do would be to set the fast idle RPM a bit lower, unless that caused it to stall during warm up before you blip the throttle to allow the choke to open some more. Ideally the fast idle will be set just fast enough to allow the engine to run cleanly.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Hello 4jaw and cobolt thanks for your in put I appreciate it. Yeah I felt I was close but I just need to tweek it a little more I will put my fast idle some down too as its a little high. I will work on it today and see if I can fine tune it a little better.
Thanks
Eric
Old 10-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

eric, Remove the choke lap and file off about 1/8" on the bottom of flap.
You just not getting enough air the with flap closed. Your on the boarder line of flooding. Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

FWIW, I have never found the aftermarket carb electric chokes to be anywhere near as user friendly as a factory type setup so dont expect them to perform great.
I tell mys customers with them to turn the key on to start heating the element, then count to "10" before starting the engine to give the choke flap a little head start
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Hello guys thanks for your help. I readjusted it the other day and it works much better now and as suggested I turn the key on and wait for a few seconds giving the choke time to open up some and it fires right up. Yesterday it did it with out gargling but that was during the middle of the day when it was warmer out and I will have to try it during the cold morning to really see how it does.
Thanks
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.