Holley fuel pump, return line or not to return line??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
J-Man

Last journal entry: Camaro project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley fuel pump, return line or not to return line???

I need to address my fuel delivery system. Looking for insight from the best forum around.

The current fuel delivery system is as follows

1977 camaro stock tank,

Holley fuel filter mounted below tank
Holley fuel pump mount below tank

aluminum fuel line following frame to engine bay
Holley fuel regulator, one side feeds carb 750 Holley, other side feeds liquid filled fuel pressure gauge.

I bought the car 3 yrs ago, been running the fuel pump this way ever since.
Lately my fuel pump started to leak between the elctrical pump and the vain rotor housing. I'm thinking to much resistance on it because of no return line.

And the damn little holley gets hot to touch. Needless to say I am not driving it at all like this... I think the pump is shot. Leaks, get hot, sounds dangerous.

Looked at JEGS for fuel delivery diagrams and came up with this http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...0/650-4309.pdf.

I'm not sure if the stock tank has a return or not. getting ready to pull it.

So my question is do I need to run a return line? And should I ditch the stock tank and put in a 16 gal full cell in the trunk?

Any input would be cool.[IMG][/IMG]

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD's camaro
I need to address my fuel delivery system. Looking for insight from the best forum around.

The current fuel delivery system is as follows

1977 camaro stock tank,

Holley fuel filter mounted below tank
Holley fuel pump mount below tank

aluminum fuel line following frame to engine bay
Holley fuel regulator, one side feeds carb 750 Holley, other side feeds liquid filled fuel pressure gauge.

I bought the car 3 yrs ago, been running the fuel pump this way ever since.
Lately my fuel pump started to leak between the electrical pump and the vain rotor housing. I'm thinking to much resistance on it because of no return line.

And the damn little holley gets hot to touch. Needless to say I am not driving it at all like this... I think the pump is shot. Leaks, get hot, sounds dangerous.

Looked at JEGS for fuel delivery diagrams and came up with this http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...0/650-4309.pdf.

I'm not sure if the stock tank has a return or not. getting ready to pull it.

So my question is do I need to run a return line? And should I ditch the stock tank and put in a 16 gal full cell in the trunk?

Any input would be cool.[IMG][/IMG]

I like a regulated return on an electric pump. Their output, unless digitally controlled, is continuous at full rated maximum since they do not track to engine speed like a mechanical pump. This results in a lot of thrashing of the fuel in the pump rotor chamber at low engine speeds since the engine's fuel requirement isn't much compared to the pump's output. This gets to be a bigger problem with high capacity pumps.

A regulated return certainly keeps the pump from dead-heading when the pump is running but not the engine, or from nearly dead-heading when the engine is operating from idle to highway cruise. The flow thru the pump will help draw off motor heat and prevent thrashing heat of the pump rotor trying to pump more fuel than is being used.

The pump really doesn't need to be mounted lower than the tank, the rotor chamber close to the depth of the bottom is sufficient to keep a self priming head on the pump without having it constantly faced with the pressure from the full depth of the tank. Another useful trick used mostly with fuel injection systems, but is a good idea also with a carb, especially for a race engine is to place a small auxiliary tank ahead of the pump that the main tank fills by gravity. This prevents the pump from momentarily running dry as maneuvering causes fuel to slosh away from the main tank's pick up.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.