Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Holley help
Thread: Holley help
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Last journal entry: First Entry 82' Camaro Z28 Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know it's tough to give a solution to a problem that you can't address first hand but thanks for the starting suggestions.

I'll try a lighter spring on the secondary and recheck the timing. I set it with a vacuum gauge initially then by a timing light and it's pretty happy where it is. The distributor is the standard GM style from Skip White so it's supposed to be higher voltage. Vacuum advance and set to manifold vacuum. I didn't change the springs or limit the advance.

To answer on the additional details, it's an 82 Camaro with street driven in mind. I'm guessing 3,500 lbs wet all said and done with driver. ST10 4spd, Kevlar clutch and 3.42 gears out back.

Cam isn't really wild, Engine Pro MC1988, 214/224 @ .50 makes power in the range of 2000-4000. Edelbrock RPM air gap, 180cc runner/64cc chamber Aluminum vortec style heads gasket matched with full port and polish , 1.5 roller rockers. It's got stainless 1.60 exhaust and 2.02 intake swirl polished intake valves. Flat top builder pistons with a .045 quench (yeah I know...). I plan to run it on 89 octane if I can get away with it.

So far I've only driven it a couple gears up the block and back last weekend in the almost 3 years I've owned it since it's been undergoing a full frame up (restoration). I just started body work so road tuning can't happen for a while but it's bugging me that gobs of power are lying in the secondaries.

My initial impression was it needs more guts down low and that the transition to the secondaries is HUGE and then the power shows up. How can I pull that power down lower which is where this motor should be. So how soon should the secondaries open?