Holley Mechanical fuel pump question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley Mechanical fuel pump question

Ok, I have installed a pressure regulator and not fired the engine with it in place yet. I just got my lines all bent and everything locate dthe way I want.
During this process I discovered that the bottom seal on my Holley 12-454-11 mechanical fule pump seems to be leaking oil. Its not a huge leak but it definatly leaks oil from this area. No leaks from the mounting point on the block, no leak from the valve cover down the block.
I cant think that this is normal. From what I understand these fuel pumps can be rotated to put the out feed any place needed/wanted. I have not done this and have cchaecked that the screws that hold the "top" of the pump together are tight, not over tight but definatly not loose.
Has anyone else experienced this ?

I am building a 454 with an 7 quart pan, 8 quarts total in the engine with a filter.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The pump gets what little oil it does from the engine. If it`s leaking now I doubt if rotating it will stop the leak. It`ll just move to a different spot. It could be it is leaking from where it mounts to the fuel pump mounting plate and just rolling down to the bottom of the fuel pump. As it would seem if there is oil coming out of the pump them oil would be getting in the fuel on it`s way to the carb. But since there`s more fuel pressure in the pump than there is oil pressure it does the opposite, which is contaiminate the oil in the engine with fuel. Pull the dipstick and smell it, if you smell gas fix the pump or get a new one and change the oil. Fuel in the oil will quickly wipe out a engine due to it`s cleaning properties. If you have to install a new pump or you can repair your current one, pack the fuel pump cavity with moly lube. Since the small and big block chevies have no direct oiling system they count on what little rolls down the fuel pump push rod to keep them lubed. Without moly lube in the cavity the pump spring quickly overheats and can cause failure or a pump spring so weak it stops pumping by the time the engine gets to 3000 RPM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Just out of curiosity, why are you putting a pressure regulator on a fuel pump that holley claims doesn't need one?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

In my experience Squeeze, I`ve fooled with countless fuel pumps. Like a carter electric that said it didn`t need a regulator so I didn`t buy one. I installed it and found the fuel pressure to be 9 psi so I had to buy a regulator. A friend of mine, he bought a edelbrock mechanical pump that said the same thing, it was around 8 psi so he too had to get a regulator. When I`m buying a fuel pump now and it says it don`t need one, I laugh and buy one anyway.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Well to both responces, I was running VERY rich and shut it down after about 2 minutes if that of run time. I checked the oil and it is still good to go as far as fuel smell or breaking down (I am no scientist so I dont actually know that it hasnt broken down at least some) I pulled the carb that I myself rebuilt .....it couldnt be a carb issue, I finished the rebuild at around 12:30 AM after only 4 hrs sleep...........a peice of the plastic or polywhatevery it is float had actually "chipped" and was sitting on the top of the float. This I assume was causing my "rich" condition.

I had already purchased a regulator and gauge at the advise of Edelbrock Tech support. I changed the oil and fired the motor agian......right about 8 1/2 psi w/o a regulator. Edelbrock Tech explained that a 1409 which is what I am running, basiclly an Edeljet does not like to live over about 6 psi at the very MAX so if I put my regulator near the pump set it at approx. 5.5 psi.

By the time it gets to the carb through the three (3) 90 deg. bends it has to make and the uphill climb of approx. 9 inches up the Big Block I should be sitting at approx. 4.5 - 5 psi. This as explained to me makes for a much happier Edlejet and a smoother more efficent motor.

This is going in my tow vehicle for boat/car/camper towing so efficiency, is a good word lol. Yes 454 Big Block and efficiency used in the same sentence..am I losing it?

Ideally I want to put my gauge alot closer to the carb but at the moment it will have to sit where it is.

Last edited by muddi1; 10-16-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

Here is a basic picture of the fuel pump, it has a different outlet style but basicly the same. It seems to me by looking at the picture there is a diaphram that seperates the two parts of the pump. With out tearing mine apart I am wondering if I might have a bad diaphram?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelpump.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	48959  
Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi1
Well to both responces, I was running VERY rich and shut it down after about 2 minutes if that of run time. I checked the oil and it is still good to go as far as fuel smell or breaking down (I am no scientist so I dont actually know that it hasnt broken down at least some) I pulled the carb that I myself rebuilt .....it couldnt be a carb issue, I finished the rebuild at around 12:30 AM after only 4 hrs sleep...........a peice of the plastic or polywhatevery it is float had actually "chipped" and was sitting on the top of the float. This I assume was causing my "rich" condition.

I had already purchased a regulator and gauge at the advise of Edelbrock Tech support. I changed the oil and fired the motor agian......right about 8 1/2 psi w/o a regulator. Edelbrock Tech explained that a 1409 which is what I am running, basiclly an Edeljet does not like to live over about 6 psi at the very MAX so if I put my regulator near the pump set it at approx. 5.5 psi.

By the time it gets to the carb through the three (3) 90 deg. bends it has to make and the uphill climb of approx. 9 inches up the Big Block I should be sitting at approx. 4.5 - 5 psi. This as explained to me makes for a much happier Edlejet and a smoother more efficent motor.

This is going in my tow vehicle for boat/car/camper towing so efficiency, is a good word lol. Yes 454 Big Block and efficiency used in the same sentence..am I losing it?

Ideally I want to put my gauge alot closer to the carb but at the moment it will have to sit where it is.
Its actually a 1904, see the madness I face
Old 10-17-2010, 05:59 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

OK. The 12-454-11 pump is a bit much for your application regulated for 6.5-8 lbs. of pressure. I was looking at the holley electric they have regulated at 6 lbs. and if your pump now continues to give you leak problems, it might be a better choice as far as FP and you could run a block off plate to eliminate the leak. Just anoither option to take into concideration if you haven't already.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Well I think I actually have two issues now.....the small oil leak and I am still running way too rich even after the regulator. I cant get the thing below 6 psi.

It is supposedly rated 4-9 psi and preset at 7. So at this point I am going to try eliminating both Holley peices, the regulator and the fuel pump and put a stock pump back on and see what happens.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,026 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi1
put a stock pump back on
Good idea.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:40 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

^^^^x2^^^^!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Mehanical fuel pump

What's the difference in sbc and BBC mechanical fuel pumps? Holley has a marine mechanical fuel pimp for BBC but not for the sbc.. Will the BBC pump bolt to a small block?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.