Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Holley off idle backfire problem
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hello bogie I don't have a metering plate on the rear because I got the secondary metering block to replace it. The carb is brand new and the metering blocks are nice and good as I checked them with a straight edge. I am also using vacuum advance timing on full manifold ( about 30 at idle with vacuum advance). Holley said that was my problem and I tried it on ported and it did not make any difference. I like full manifold as it give better throttle response and nicer idle quality. I am running 16-18 initial and advancing it more makes no difference in how it runs. Cruising timing is around 50 degrees total and total timing is around 36 all in by 3000 rpm give or take a few. Using a lighter spring makes it come in too quick and one light and medium is still a little to quick and does not make much of a difference. I am using two medium springs and starts to advance at 1200 rpm. As of right now it has instant throttle response and just blipping the throttle will throw you back in the seat. If it was not for the backfire at times it's good to go.