Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Holley off idle backfire problem
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

gearsheadlife said he had something like this before and to try a smaller shooter. It won't hurt anything as I can always go back to where I was. I am going to test it tomorrow when I have some time as I had stuff to do today. I went cruising up a small hill and the funniest thing happened I gave it a small easy shot of gas to go up the hill from a stand still and it backfired twice really fast and not the normal once like it usually does. Yes the gaskets are the correct ones as the only thing I changed out on the carb was the front and rear metering blocks and they have the correct gaskets. Base plates is whatever holley has on it and I have not had the bottom apart as it was all new. I have no vacuum leaks as the idle is nice and steady on the vacuum gauge and goes back and forth between 15-16 inches. I am about ready to take this thing and throw it over a fence. The previous carb was the exact same thing and it did not do this at all and I took the metering block from it and put it on this holley which is the same thing except it came with electric choke. This is driving me nuts as it seems its getting plenty of a pump shot and changing things really does not make any difference. Something is going on with the carb as previous one it did not do this backfire at all just when I put this one on I will post tomorrow of what it does changing the shooter does.