Holley Pro-jection 2D help needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Holley Pro-jection 2D help needed

I just sent holley this message, if someone can help me I will appreciate it:

I have been using this Pro-jection 2D for more than a year with absolute satisfaction until

now that started running very very rich.

stock 305 SBC, daily driven car, TH350.

when cold it starts fine, but after 30 seconds more or less the pitch of the sound of the

injectors changes and it starts injecting lots of fuel, you can see a lot of it, then it

smokes black a lot and trhows lots of soot out of the tailpipe until seconds later the

engine dies

if cranked at WOT it starts again but even if the throttle is kept partially open the

mixture is so rich that the engine stumbles and dies again, not to mention the big clouds of

soot and black smoke.

It can't be driven around becuase it stalls, I have managed to warm up the engine keeping it

a high idle but when warm things are worse.

The engine is in very good mechanical condition, actually the car has only 45.000 miles on

the clock but I rebuilt the engine less than 5.000 miles ago just to have it perfect, I

installed the pro-jection well after the rebuilt.

I tried lowering the fuel pressure to 9 psi which makes the engine idle, roughly but it

manages to idle, if it's set to 15 psi the engine dies.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps of the manual and everything is OK,

coolant temp sensor is fine, I suspected of it the first time but it's in the reccomended

temp/resistance range.

when I first installed the system more than a year ago I made marks in the ECM's knobs in

case they move I won't have to recalibrate the unit, well the knobs remain in the same spots

but still the problem happens, I have tried to recalibrate the ECM but seems like it does

not respond to the adjustments, I have set them to the leanest possision in Choke, Idle and

Main but makes not much difference.

the fuel pressure, delivery volume and return lines are all OK.

all connections look fine, grounds included.

finally I have doubts as the way the injectors sound, the pulse width as well as the

frecuency sound wrong to me.

Please help me solve this problem, I'm a certified mechanic with 17 years of experience but

this one has beated me, thanks in advance.

Augusto.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Have you checked the throttle position sensor??, it may change as it "electrically" warms up.

If the pulse width of the injectors is changing, the ECM is telling them to. It is either a bad sensor read fooling the ECM or something wrong with the ECM itself.

Father-in-law had the 900 cfm 4-bbl version, never could make it work totally correct on his racy 460 Ford, wouldn't MPH very good in the 1/4 mile.

Refresh my memory, what are all the sensors?? I remember coolant temp, throttle position, rpm is picked up from coil, MAP sensor reads the vacuum, was there Air Temp?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
More for Less Racer

Also, does the "D" version have an O2 sensor in the exhaust??
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 PM

it only has CTS and TPS, no MAP or ATS, has worked very well for street use, and has lots of power, starts and drives away very well when cold in the mornings, gone are the cold start blues that had with the 2GC carburator, this is why I installed this system, fuel economy sucks though.

I just came back from the shop, even tough the CTS's resistance was according to specs I decided to use another one, Holley's sensor has only one connector prong and I couldn't find one around so I grabbed a good one that I had laying in the used parts bucket, it's from a TBI GM truck that has 2 prongs, I connected one terminal to ground and the other to the sensor's wire.

Bingo..!! it worked perfectly..!!

I had to totally recalibrate the ECM tough, the previous settings didn't work with this sensor but the engine runs smooth and the black smoke is gone.

I'll shop around tomorrow to see if I can find a sensor with one wire, if not I'll buy a new GM sensor and connect it as I did today.

any idea of what brand/car uses one wire CTS sensors?

I wonder why the CTS is bad if the resistance is within parameters? I checked it carefully, tested with a thermometer and ohmmeter at various water temps and it always read OK...don't know
Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Also, does the "D" version have an O2 sensor in the exhaust??

no, mine does not, but holley sells this as an option
Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

About 30 years ago, a friend of mine had a 280Z that would occasionally go dead rich for long periods of time. After months of frustrating several local professional and hack mechanics, I accidentally found that the CTS connector had had its retaining clip (springy) replaced with a bent paper clip (not springy), causing the connector to intermittently disconnect. This caused the computer to think the engine was really really cold, so it told the injectors to dump as much fuel as they possibly could.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 PM

engine started doing the same thing since last nigth... the CTS is brand new, I also tried with an old but good unit, same thing with both, I'm starting to suspect of the TPS, I couldn't adjust it to the 0.65 volts at idle as holley instructs, didn't go lower than 0.75 so the ECU things that it's at high idle thus dumps more fuel than is needed.

problem will be finding a TPS that can be used... importing the part from the USA will be hard and takes some time, I'll check the part stores monday.

any suggestions as what else may be causing this?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:59 PM
More for Less Racer

No new ideas here, I thought TPS could be the problem in the beginning. You are probably on the right track.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.