Hot Rod Forum banner

Holley Street Avenger??

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
Ok, just sold my beloved 331" sbc...guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse....literally. I have a '75 508" Cadillac (in pieces) that will replace it, the engine came with the original Q-jet which I like but man is this one butt ugly.

"Maximum Torque Specialties" (Cad only performance shop) uses the Holley 870 Street Avenger on a lot of their builds, they like them. So for those of you that have experience with them....good or bad, lets have it! I guess I'll have to change my name to "508 NUT"

#3 ·
I have used SA (770's) on two different builds. I have had good expierence with them. Seem to be pretty darn close out of the box. But then again I have had good expierence with all of my Holley's. I have never really fooled with Edelbrock or Q-jets. I tried a Eddy one time, but ditched it real quick after I could not get it to idle in drive. I run two 770's on my blown 468, runs great. The only complaint I have about Holley's, it seems that they get real brittle when they have a few years on them. I cracked two fuel bowl in one week trying to tighten up the fuel inlet nipple.

#4 ·
Well only 2 replies...not enough, second question is...would a 770 cfm SA be adequate for a 508" engine that will see an occasional blast up to 5000 rpm. This is being built as a street rod engine for cruising but it WILL have some hp and LOTS of torque. Another thought, would the good old reliable 3310 750 prepared properly do the trick just as well??

#6 ·
327NUT said:
Well only 2 replies...not enough, second question is...would a 770 cfm SA be adequate for a 508" engine that will see an occasional blast up to 5000 rpm. This is being built as a street rod engine for cruising but it WILL have some hp and LOTS of torque. Another thought, would the good old reliable 3310 750 prepared properly do the trick just as well??
First choice- Q-jet, second choice, too.

Third would be a 3310. It (or ANY 750 CFM carb) is more than enough carb for that engine @ 5K RPM. Figureing 100% VE, the CFM required is 735.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.