Holley Street Dominator with Winters Snowflake? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: 46 Dodge frame
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley Street Dominator with Winters Snowflake?

Help, picked this up at a yard sale and can't find any info on the net about the part number. It's a Holley Street Dominator, model 701R-19 or 300-19, both are cast in the bottom, it has a SBC firing order and cyl numbers, it's a high rise single plane. I'm guessing it's a factory upgrade for maybe a Camaro or Vette, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	920.0 KB
ID:	46219   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	904.4 KB
ID:	46220  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This is unusual, First time I ever seen a open plane intake with a EGR port.
I think what you have was bought off the shelf or ordered. The Holley "Z" manifold is almost identical to it, except it had a divider plate and had a extra runner connecting the back 2 runners together to add volume to the number 7 runner since 5 robs 7 as they are right behind each other and beside each other in the firing order. The "Z" intake was designed by Zora Arkus Duntov, but they didn`t keep the intake in production a real long time.
The intake you have is the basic street dominator with a EGR port cast at the winters foundry likely since Holley didn`t have a foundry near at the time. It`s not a factory item, that`s for sure.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Not a factory upgrade, this was sold at parts stores and speed shops. There were other intakes called Street Dominators, had different numbers (-35, -36, -38, -3001, and likely others). Some were dual plane intakes, and the one that was a clone of the Z/28 intake was actually a good manifold (I don't know which one it was). Others were more of a low/medium rise intake, better suited to a mild engine, and yet others were single plane.

The single plane (-19, like yours and -35, etc.) wasn't as well received as some of the dual plane intakes, but is a decent intake for what it is.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-15-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Not a factory upgrade, this was sold at parts stores and speed shops. There were other intakes called Street Dominators, had different numbers (-35, -36, -38, -3001, and likely others). Some were dual plane intakes, and the one that was a clone of the Z/28 intake was actually a good manifold (I don't know which one it was). Others were more of a low/medium rise intake, better suited to a mild engine, and yet others were single plane.

The single plane (-19, like yours and -35, etc.) wasn't as well received as some of the dual plane intakes, but is a decent intake for what it is.

Why Holley did that is beyond me, it sure causes a lot of confusion when trying to identify their intakes. The Z/28 clone was the 300-36 IIRC, an excellent manifold. The other dual plane "Street Dominator" was the 300-38 and it was basically a copy of the standard factory intake.

DV, EGR single planes were common in the late 70's early 80's.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

So, Holley had Winters cast some intakes right? And it may have been in the 70's or 80's? It may have been an aftermarket part. Yet I can't find any reference for the numbers, I've found plenty on the Street Dominator, plenty on the 300-38/35/36 ect. Nothing on the 300-19 or an application, am I crazy wondering with the firing order, cyl numbers cast in it and the Winters mark it may be a special order. Has anybody seen a Holley similar with the Flake and numbers, not by design?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RATVT
So, Holley had Winters cast some intakes right?
Right. Street Dom, Strip Dom, possibly others.

Quote:
And it may have been in the 70's or 80's? It may have been an aftermarket part.
It WAS an aftermarket part- there is no GM p/n that would be present if it were a "factory" offering, either RPO or over the dealership counter- like the cross ram intake used on the Z/28.

Quote:
Yet I can't find any reference for the numbers, I've found plenty on the Street Dominator, plenty on the 300-38/35/36 ect. Nothing on the 300-19 or an application
My only guess is that it wasn't a popular intake, and has been largely "lost" to the ages.

Quote:
am I crazy wondering with the firing order, cyl numbers cast in it and the Winters mark it may be a special order.
I don't know about "crazy", maybe just wishful...

But the cast in firing order/numbered runners was on many Holley intakes. As was the Winters foundry snowflake.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
So, Holley had Winters cast some intakes right? And it may have been in the 70's or 80's? It may have been an aftermarket part. Yet I can't find any reference for the numbers, I've found plenty on the Street Dominator, plenty on the 300-38/35/36 ect. Nothing on the 300-19 or an application, am I crazy wondering with the firing order, cyl numbers cast in it and the Winters mark it may be a special order. Has anybody seen a Holley similar with the Flake and numbers, not by design?
The info you have been given about the intake in question is correct, just because an aluminum intake has a Winters snowflake cast into it doesn't make it a rare factory piece. Winters cast for whomever made a deal with them, they were not GM or Chevrolet exclusively.

At one time I had a Holley intake, can't recall the # but it was the Holley
Z" Series manifold made in the late 70's/early 80's, a short single plane with EGR ports that looks just like the one posted but had a weird crossover port that snaked around the back section of it connecting the two rear runners, 7 and 8 together, along with a cast in plenum divider. Supposedly had design help from Zora Arkus-Duntov(Hence the 'Z' designation). It was Firing Order numbered and numbered for each cylinder just above the port outlet to the heads.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I didn`t know that Hippie, but you gotta look at my age. I was hatched in `74, so I didn`t know what was going on the the late 70`s and early 80`s.
I knew my wrench sizes by the time I was 5, and could do some things, but as for other stuff like EGR`s I didn`t have a clue what any of it was.
Holley has somewhat created confusion in there line of intakes. Used to be the street dominator was a single plane intake, now it`s a dual plane. At one time I remember seeing there name all over any kind of circle track races and they had all kinds of intakes offered for it. I remember thinking "I`ve never seen a company spend this kind of time and money on intake developement for circle jerk racing" It seemed there name was all you saw. Then it got to where I didn`t see them around anymore. I wish they would bring back the Weiand Xcelerator high rise with divider plate and make it for Vortec heads, but I doubt that`ll happen. In fact, I haven`t seen a low rise single plane intake for Vortec heads yet.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Lost to the ages sounds right! Normally I can find anything on the net, I hit a wall with this. I just figured it was a GM over the counter offering from the late 60's early 70's, thanks for the help everybody..
Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Lost to the ages sounds right! Normally I can find anything on the net, I hit a wall with this. I just figured it was a GM over the counter offering from the late 60's early 70's, thanks for the help everybody..
You won't find much on the older intakes on the web. The 300-19 was a direct competitor to the Edelbrock Torker and was actually quite popular, not nearly as popular as the Torker though. Add a plenum divider and it would be an "ok" intake until something better popped up. The "Z" series mentioned above actually worked fairly well.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.