Holley Tuning on a 230 Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Ground Clearance Is Over-Rated

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holley Tuning on a 230 Chevy

Hey guys. I need your help once again with my car. This is a problem that I have been having since last summer, but only for about 3 weeks of driving time. I have been at college for the whole winter, and now its time to pull the car out of the garage. Not that I would expect it, but the car didnt fix itself while I was away.

The issue is somewhere in the vaccum system, specifically the carb. I put a holley 390 CFM 4 bbl on my 230 chevy inline in my 67 chevelle. The distributor is a mid 70's Chevy from a 250 CI truck motor, and it was brand new last summer. It also has headers and a full exhaust system on it. I have had problems since that carb left the box. The car itself is an automatic. The idle of the car in park is around 2200 RPM's with the idle screw all the way out. When I put it in gear, the idle with my foot on the brake is like 600 RPM's, that is if it doesnt stall. It bogs a ton from a stop and at low speeds. On the highway, it goes quite well.

I have eliminated the posibility of an intake leak, as I went through the whole system with a can of carb cleaner to look for one. My vaccum is hooked up as best as I could figure it out. There were two small ports on the carb, and I assume that one of those is for the vacc advance. One draws about 12 lbs of pressure in park at idle, and the other draws about 5 lbs of pressure in park as idle. I have not looked at them in gear yet. There were 3 vacc ports on the carb and one on the intake. I hooked the vaccum controller from the transmission, a Powerglide, to the intake port, and that is not leaking. I hooked the PCV vaccum up to the back of the carb, and it is a large vaccum hole that it goes in. There are two on the front, and one of them is for the vaccum advance, and the other is not in use. These are the two mentioned above.

This being said, I can not figure the problem out. I am stumped. My dad is stumped. Every one of my dad's friends is stumped. I told my dad that if I can not figure this out by June, that I am going to start hunting for a big block. Please help with what ever you can, and I will do my best on this end to help you out. Thanks again.

Sam "sicksixseven"

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 03:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

maby the powervalves are blown out, possibly.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Well 12 inches of vacuum is not enough, you should be pullin at least 17 or 18 inches of vacuum at the manifold ports at idle. This is being caused, I would guess, buy either a vacuum leak, timing way off or the wrong carb to manifold gasket.
I would disconnect and plug all vacuum hoses except 1 and throw the gauge on it again and see if it improves. If it does you will have to hunt down the culprit. Could be a cracked line or bad modulator or something like that. The fact that you need to turn the mixture screws way out is telling you that you have a lot of extra air entering the engine from somewhere or the carb is no good.
Where in Massachsetts are you, I am also in Mass
Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Thanks so far guys. I live in Amesbury, up in the NE part of the state. I will check on some of the stuff mentioned when I get the chance, which might not be for a week or so. I could imagine the timing being off, mainly because I can't set the timing because the idle is so messed up. I have tried to tear the system apart, but to no avail. I think my next move it to pull the carb and try to re-seal it. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:36 PM

Experiment-

Do you have another working 4-barrel lying around that you could throw on there to see if it is the carb?Its good to have,say a stock motorcraft 4 barrel off a Lincoln that runs,just so you can narrow down the problems.I had terrible troubles with my 78 Ford P/U with a 300 six/Quadrajet/headers combo.Without enough cam,the power band only went from 1000 to about 1300 rpms-lousy for the time and money invested.It also wouldnt idle lower than about 900 rpms.Or,its possible that a big 2-barrel,say off a 60s-70s Ford,would be another option.Plenty of adapter plates are available.Good luck-by the way,I work at the Housing authority-I own the 66 Impala 4-door out front.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Old does not mean dumb

Last photo:

It would not hurt to check that the secondaries are closed properly...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore 1
Do you have another working 4-barrel lying around that you could throw on there to see if it is the carb?Its good to have,say a stock motorcraft 4 barrel off a Lincoln that runs,just so you can narrow down the problems.I had terrible troubles with my 78 Ford P/U with a 300 six/Quadrajet/headers combo.Without enough cam,the power band only went from 1000 to about 1300 rpms-lousy for the time and money invested.It also wouldnt idle lower than about 900 rpms.Or,its possible that a big 2-barrel,say off a 60s-70s Ford,would be another option.Plenty of adapter plates are available.Good luck-by the way,I work at the Housing authority-I own the 66 Impala 4-door out front.
I don't have another 4 bbl laying around unfortunately. The powerband for my motor seems to be somewhere around 3000-3500 RPM's, basically highway. I am not sure where the housing authority is, but you may have seen my car go by before. Its a dark blue 67 chevelle 4 door with chrome wheels on it. What street is the housing authority on?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:35 PM

Eyesore 1

The housing authority is on Main Street,on the hill above the post office.
I was also recalling the troubles I had with a Dodge P/U with a slant motor that I tried to hot rod .That truck had a Super Six intake and Clifford headers,but without a cam,it ran considerably WORSE than with the dog 1 barrel and stock exhaust.The Inliners website is an excellent resource for 6-cylinder builders.I wish id known about it when I had those projects going.You could even make a sheetmetal blocking plate and reattatch your original carb,to eliminate that Holley problem possibility.High idle without the ability to lower it is almost certainly a vaccuum leak,unless there is a mechanical throttle plate open issue.Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

I have finals all this week, and then I will be back up in the area. I will do some more tests with the vaccum gauge when I get the chance. The only thing that I could think of right now is that the adapter plate from the intake to the carb could be leaking. I will test that as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for the help so far.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.