Holley's Systemax street set up ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 06:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Holley's Systemax street set up ?

Could somebody please explain something to me because i'm about to go (A-WALL). I was sifting thru a jeg's catalog and i noticed that Holley's Systemax street performance system, has just about the same cam with a .457 lift and .218 @50 and it's on a 110 L/S that's on a 105 lobe centerline, and there requirement's are atleast a 9.8:1 C/R, as comp does. I meen the High Energy 268 that i have has a .454 lift and .218 @50 and it's on a 110 L/S and on a 106 lobe centerline. Now when you poke thru Comp's big oll gatalog, it state's that there High Energy line of cam's are good for engine's from 8.0:1, 9.0:1, and 10.0:1 C/R. Now on Jeg's website they say that the High Energy cam's are only good for engine's with 9.0:1 compression and less. What give's because I called Jeg's tech line and asked about the Systemax street system to see what he would say about my 9.6:1 350 sbc that's goin in my pickup, and his reply was i needed to bump it up to 9.8:1 compression because that's what it called for, and it's the same stink'in cam! I meen i've been told that 9.6:1 is to much C/R for the 268H, and i've been told that it's just right, and now i'm told that it's not enough. I've gotta get this motor up and go'in on my vacation week witch is around the second week of september. Yea this cam is already dialed in and ready to go, and just for a tid-bit of info just incase anybody is wondering the High Energy 268H has the same intake valve closeing as the EX268 does witch is 60 deg, ABDC. not that it meen's anything to anybody. (Please Advise)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

My advice is don't sweat 2/10ths of a point of compression. It's not gonna make a big difference.

Larry
Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 PM

Yea man thanx for your responce, i dont think im gonn'a because i'm gonn'a stick it togeather like it is, if it work's it work's if it dont it dont. Before i started this project 5 year's ago on my 76 GMC short bed pickup, i did'nt know squat about a camshaft other than the fact that it opened the valve's to make the engine work. I've just alway's liked that lopey sound that you here that a cam make's, i guess if i had started out with a lighter car or something the lumpy sound would not have been such an issue, but maybee next time.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I had the 268H cam in my old 307. I called the Comp Cam techs to ask about the cam before I installed it. They said not to exceed 9.5:1.

Cylinder heads are generally do not have the exact cc combustion chambers that they say they do. I have seen a few articles in various magazines where they list the cc ratings of the heads on one line, and then the actual "as delivered" cc ratings that the testing company found. They are usually off by a couple ccs.

That being said, there is no sense in worrying about .1:1 more compression.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:51 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Don't worry about it.Holleys system recomends 9.8:1 probably cause thats the compression of the motor that put out there quoted HP# for that system.
Provided that the rest of your setup is resonably matched I doubt evan a whole .5 point compression would evan make a noticeable differnace with that cam.8:1-9.8:1 sounds like a good range for that cam,provided its the right one for the rest of the drivetrain.
Hell they put bigger cams in engines w/evan lower compression in allot of the magazine buildups.
If it makes you feel better I got the Comp EX262(262/270dur. 218/224@050 462/469lift) in my 350 w/ only 8.7:1(maybe less)compression.I had it in my 3600lb montecarlo in the short time I've had it running so far,it felt torquey.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:13 PM

Thanx guy's for all the suport, don't meen to take so long getting back because i get home 1 or 2 day's thru the week and on the weekend's. I believe your all right on this one,and i'll just have to wing it to see what happen's 10-4
Old 02-12-2006, 08:37 PM

? holley systemax

i want to get the systemax system for my 56 chevy pickup and was wondering if it would work on a stock 350 sbc block number 3970010 i dont know what year but it's said to be a hi perf. 350 with the power pack headsits all stock

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.