View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
I was probebly typing as you were. I will check the lift and let you know. Also was told converter is stock and it drives ,from stop and through gears fine. The 350 trans was beefed up for raceing and before I got the truck it had a race engine in it but my brother took out for his project. Then he sold truck to person I got it from and that person got a engine for it but no one knows what it is eccept for what I said earlier. Broke in engine by one hr at 1800 rpm's than seated the rings by loading and unloading for 30 minuts,probebly not more than45 miles on engine. The thing runs goog,strong,no oil leaks temps. good,and on boging or hesitation.If the dial indicater reads around stock cam, and I put 1.5's for rockers,whith the right push rod geometry, will this help on gas consumption?

It would reduce valve spring pressure reducing some load and friction and decrease total lift at the valves reducing a little of the load on the cam lobes and lifters! it may be so minuet you wouldn't know it? do you have roller rockers (1.5s) to replace the 1.7s with ,of the same configuration? you may need to get different push rods of the proper length or lash caps depending on where the roller rides on the valve stem tip! If your running 20/50 oil and change to 10/30 it will help! But with only 45 minutes on the engine loaded I would run strait 30 with good zddp content for a few hundred miles and then change to a multigrade and keep running zddp! You can check tire pressures, a little more air can give better mileage but don't over inflate! As the engine breaks in during the 300 hundred or so miles and the engine loosens up your mileage will increase! running a 185 thermostat would help, the small blocks had a 185 to 190 optimum operating range! High pressure oil pumps cause poor mileage a 80 pound oil pressure takes a lot of torque from the engine whats your oil pressure? Whats your mileage when you check it?

Chris

Are you running a new carb? Check your vacuum at idle if that cam has a large duration and low vacume your power valve may be opening at idle! or it could be blown from a back fire if its an old carb? If its blown you can screw the metering screws (on each side of the front metering block) in all the way and if the engine keeps running the power valve is most likely blown if it stalls the valve is good!

Last edited by painted jester; 07-07-2012 at 10:58 PM.