Home garage with 100% Duty Cycle Compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Building a 10 footer.

Last journal entry: No more room in my garage.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Home garage with 100% Duty Cycle Compressor

I have almost completed my compressor piping install. This is in a home garage/small shop 24'x16'.

I have the Husky 60 Gal, Just need to get a flex hose made up at my local hydraulic shop.

The compressor says that it is 100% duty cycle. I will most likely use it on weekends only, but not every weekend. Gotta keep the wife happy.

What is best for the compressor?
1) Once I turn on the motor, keep it on? System pressurized all the time?
2) Only turn the unit on when I will be working? Empty when done?

If I have no leaks in my piping system is it fine to just keep the system pressurized with air?

What do those of you who have something set up at home do?

ThanX
Frank

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just turn it on when working..otherwise it may come on in the middle of the nite and wake everyone up..

Sam
Old 04-03-2006, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

I would have a valve right as it exits the tank and shut that off when you are done. Also turn off the power to the compressor.

Think of the situation that you have a pipe burst or damaged by some means and the compressor runs until you find it ( you could be gone on weekend trip) or until it breaks. Just some more insurance that your new tool will be around for years to come.

John
Old 04-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Nothing worse than an air hose or line breaking in the middle of the night or when you are away from home. You ever see an airline with about 100 lbs. of pressure have th eend come off? One wild snake.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjohn
I would have a valve right as it exits the tank and shut that off when you are done. Also turn off the power to the compressor.

Think of the situation that you have a pipe burst or damaged by some means and the compressor runs until you find it ( you could be gone on weekend trip) or until it breaks. Just some more insurance that your new tool will be around for years to come.

John
It does have a shut off valve right off the tank.

I highly doubt that the GALV/Black pipe will burst, I did not plan on leaving any hoses connected.

When I do turn off the compressor when not in use, Should I empty the tank of air?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

They do accumulate moisture so a compressor and lines need to be drained from time to time..Do that on a regular schedule..

Sam
Old 04-04-2006, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

First it would be a good idea to install a shut off valve right at the tank, shut this off to maintain tank pressure and then kill the power for safety at the end of the day. Draining the tank daily is necessary to prevent premature rusting but DO NOT discharge the pressure! Some people discharge the pressure thinking this will prevent rusting but it will not help any more than just draining the accumulated water. What discharging the tank will do is cause early tank failure due to fatigue cracking from the expansion and contraction that will take place. It is normal for some expansion and contraction during normal operating cycles but this is no where near what will occur during complete discharge. It may come as a surprise to some that a tank expands and contracts because it is on a scale that cannot be easily noticed but it does happen and should be kept to a minimum.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
First it would be a good idea to install a shut off valve right at the tank, shut this off to maintain tank pressure and then kill the power for safety at the end of the day. Draining the tank daily is necessary to prevent premature rusting but DO NOT discharge the pressure! Some people discharge the pressure thinking this will prevent rusting but it will not help any more than just draining the accumulated water.
oldred,
If I drain from the tank, will it not discharge at the same time? Should I replace the stock drain valve with a auto drain valve?

As I mentioned earlier, I do have a shut off at the tank. The whole system when complete will have 4 drop legs throughout for drainage.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Dazed and Confused

Last journal entry: Trunk Part 21
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Chev

Just need to get a flex hose made up at my local hydraulic shop.

Hey 58 -

Rather than having a custom hose made for you, go to your local tractor (farm) implement and get a hydraulic hose (3000 psi). I got a 2' 3/4" I.D. hose for about 10 bucks.

Just a thought
Old 04-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

58, When you open the drain valve just leave it open until the water is gone, usually just a few seconds, and the pressure drop will be negligible. To cause a problem you would have to drain it down to well below normal low pressure levels and then only after doing this repeatably for a period of time. It will not hurt a thing to let the tank drop to zero pressure occasionally if you have a reason to just don't do it on a daily basis or unnecessarily. The auto drain is a really good idea and I personally consider it a necessity but if you don't mind the hassle of draining the tank often then you can get by without it, most people do.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:44 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

58 how many cfm does your husky put out? also how many volts? i am ging to be in teh market for a new compressor here is a few months...
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Building a 10 footer.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by modas
Hey 58 -

Rather than having a custom hose made for you, go to your local tractor (farm) implement and get a hydraulic hose (3000 psi). I got a 2' 3/4" I.D. hose for about 10 bucks.

Just a thought
modas,
Here in Canada, we have Princess Auto. They are a tractor supply shop that will make up hoses for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsapp
58 how many cfm does your husky put out? also how many volts? i am going to be in the market for a new compressor here is a few months...
Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.5/10.2 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. I am running it off of 220V / 20Amp circuit.
For home use it is plenty for what I need it to do.

I bought what I could afford , I wish I had a few extra hundred for the 5S5 Ingersol Rand model. Higher CFM rating and a name you can trust, even though the Husky is made by Campbell Hausfeld.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

how cold is your shop

my kids aired up their bike tires and left the air comp on , it restarted when the temp was about 22 deg F and the pump didn't lubricate and it ruined the rods. I rebuilt it and bought an electric water pipe strip heater and wrapped it around the compressor pump . it has a thermostat and a led so i can tell the power is on and you can feel the pump to see if it is keeping it warm enough. so fat it works ok.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.