Hot Rod Forum banner

Home made Cowl hood

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TurboS10 
#1 ·
does anyone know how to make a functional cowl hood from sheet metal

#2 ·
Since nobody else wants to post one to help you out, I'll try it. The purpose for a cowl hood is to provide ample clearance and air for your carburetor/carburetors, especially with the use of a big intake manifold or possibly a supercharger. My advice is to get a stock hood and cut out a symmetrical hole that'll fit around your engine junk. Then see how tall your cowl needs to be. All a cowl is a piece of metal that tapers up with two pieces of matching metal on each side. Make sure both sides are the same size and shape the top piece. If it's for the street, I'd recommend extra braces to help support a steel hood, and a vent screen so you don't get squirrels living in your engine compartment, along with a good seal.

#3 ·
I missed this, but I made a custom hood for my S-10. I wanted something a little different, and I am a cheap ***. I made mine a bit wider that the stuff you can buy. What I did is cut two pie shaped slices out of the hood and then add sheet metal to raise the section in the center. I also added a section to the back of the hood off of another scrap hood(the first victim of the custom hood trials). I then added a piece to blend the new rear section to the added piece, and added some braces under the hood since it is a little weaker after cutting. There are some pics in my album, and you can see it on my Avatar to the right.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.