Home made English Wheel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Home made English Wheel

Anyone have August 1995 isuue of American Rodder magazine. There was an article in it on how to build an English Wheel. I was given the dimension print from that article and have built the anvils and flat wheel. I would like to get the rest of the article to see if there is are any assembly tips to help out. If someone has this and can scan and email it to me, or if necessary, PM me and I'll supply fax number. This would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Homemade wheel

Well I do not have that article but if you get over to www.metalmeet.com there is a bunch of guys there that can help you..Main thing is to get the anvils lined up and building a frame that will not twist or flex under pressure as far as I can see..

OMT
Old 11-23-2005, 11:08 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I own an English Wheel (Imperial 26F). With the research I have done prior, and the things I have learned since, I am 100% satisfied with the Imperial. Its the only one out there that the quill is adjustable for wear! This is a HUGE issue. I used Gene Winfield's wheel, which is roughly 2x the size of mine, and mine will crush the bumps MUCH faster. His quill is so worn that it allows the anvil to move, increasing the distance between wheels.

The Metal Ace and Eastwood's tubular deal is no where near stiff enough. Some of the EBAY wheels are hysterically under-engineered. 2" square tubing? OK for .030 aluminum sheet I guess, if you have alot of extra time.

For a wheel to be efficient, it HAS TO BE STIFF. You will be amazed at how much even 4 x 6 x 3/8" box tubing will deflect. The more deflection, the less pressure on the wheels.

Similar to driving a spike with a tack hammer. Eventually, it will get there, but how much time will you need to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.