Home made gas tank? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Home made gas tank?

Any good links somewhere on how to make a hot rod gas tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

This is a tough project to tackle unless you are an excellent welder. Sorry, couldn't come us with any links for you.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Last photo:

I agree with cboy, but Tanks Inc. has all the accessories you need to (filler necks, fittings and such) to construct your own tank if you feel like you can do it.

Vince
Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

building a tank is not difficult. It can be a simple a a square tank or as intricate as you care to make it with rolled corners and flanged seams. Make it as leak free as you can then have your local radiator shop lay a solder wash on the seams to assure a leak proof tank.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I'll have to post some pics of mine. You can't buy a 63 Rambler wagon tank, or anything close enough to modify! I basically took the old tank out, took some measurements, then devised how I wanted it to fit.

I made the ends first in the profile I wanted. I allowed a 1/2" flange to be bent all the way around. I planned on using a universal sending unit, so I made the front top of the tank slant about six inches back from the front at about a 30 degree angle so the sending unit would go in without hitting the floor. Rather than make only a small area slant, I took the easy way out and slanted it all the way across. The tank is deeper at the front than the back -- about 8" in front, 4" in the rear. I used a piece of exhaust tubing welded near the bottom of the tank for a filler pipe, and have a vent coming off the front slant nearest the top. This is similar to the original tank. I ran the tubing about 8" inside the tank instead of just welding around the hole. That allowed me to weld the bottom edge of the tube to the floor of the tank well inside, strengthening the filler neck. I made a third "end" to use as a center baffle and pump mount. I cut the corners off and made two "pie cuts" near the center about 2" deep so some gas would flow from side to side.

After the ends were made, I cute a piece of sheel metal to "wrap around" all but the top. The very top, which is flat against the floor, was left open. I just used a #2 non-hardeneing sealer and 1/4" hex head self drilling screws around the top. It isn't be submerged, just get some splash. I welded a length of 5/16" brake line in for the pickup and a return line (I have EFI). The fuel pump is mounted at an angle on the baffle with a pair of u-bolts (3" exhaust clamp bolts). I put a 1.5" tall baffle across the front about 2" back from the front to keep to much fuel from sloshing away from the pickup when taking off with a low tank. I can run it down to about 2 gallons before it quits (don't ask how I know... ran out of gas this morning -- need to fix gauge wiring!!). I just stuck the stock Jeep in tank pump in (engine is a modified 4.0L six) with the pump filter sock in the lowest part of the tank.

To make sure it didn't leak, I soldered the overlaped seams on the edges. I have a cheap MIG welder, and even though I used gas, I still had some pin holes. The soldered seams don't leak! I smeared epoxy over the welds where the filler neck, vent, and fuel lines went in as well. I filleted the welds with epoxy where I thought a little extra strength would come in handy. Before I put the top on, I brushed Hirsch (www.hirschauto.com) gas tank sealer over the plain steel surfaces, and over the seams. Figured this would just be insurance, and keep it from rusting inside. Note that Hirsh doesn't recommend brushing, but it works fine.

I've been driving with this thing in for about five months now. I do have a leak due to the sealer -- but that's because I made a mistake when measuring! My "wrap around" was 1/2" short in the back. I tried epoxying in a filler piece then lapping the top over is with sealer. The sealer washed out in a corner -- it will only work where there is a good bit of overlap and practically no gap. It only leaks when I fill it nearly up and go around a corner or take off -- when gas sloshes into that ##%$ corner!! I already have the fix -- a new back piece that I will epoxy and screw in. I don't like welding on a tank that has had gas in it, though with the whole top off ther can hardly be any fumes.

I'll post some pics, in this thread if I can figure out how, in my album if not. Will post a follow-up soon!!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Well, I managed to get the pics in my Photo Gallery! Easy enough to go there and find them. The open top is the part that goes flat against the bottom of the car floor. It's easy to see the slanted part in front and the hole drilled for the sending unit. I thought I had more pics of the tank before I put it in, but apparently not! I didn't find any of the filler tube, vent, fuel in/out lines, or pump installation. I'll be pulling the tank in a few weeks to fix the leak, will take some more then. I painted the outside of the tank black to keep it from rusting.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I make lots of street rod tanks. I build the tank then put the drain or fuel outlet in it. Using a good pressure regulator I put in 5-10 psi of air and check for leaks with soapy water. Then goes in the filler and brackets to mount them. I make my tanks from 14ga hot rolled steel sheet.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Vini Vidi Vici

Last photo:

What material would be best to build a tank? A friend of mine uses (I beleive 1/4") aluminum, but he is looking for the lightest thing out there.
I am think of just using 20g stainless. A guy that builds cars for nascar, champ and other venues suggested the 20 gauge. I just wanted to throw this off you guys to get some opinions.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Bare Knuckles Champ

Last journal entry: Made a wrench...
Last photo:

Unless your rolling some beads in it, I think 20ga is too thin, especially if any dimension is over 10". I'd go with 16ga, myself. And I will soon.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

I am keeping my eyes open on the scrap pile at my local muffler shop. I'm not sure what all uses them, but I know at least newer Ford trucks have this huge muffler under them. Instead of using a Model T gas tank on my hot rod, I am planning to take one of these and turn it into a tank. I'll have to cap the inlet/outlets, add a filler neck and a drain. The tricky part will be if I decide to use an electric sender. I plan to leave the guts in for baffling. I'll know more once I can get my hands on one. Its pretty common to find one nearly new when these guys decide to add custom exhaust on their new trucks.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 PM

i just came across this, and thought i'd share a hint. if you're looking for that classic round tank, go to a scrap yard and buy a broken compressor. take off the mototr and you've got a perfectly sealed tank for under 10$
Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Vini Vidi Vici

Last photo:

Forgot about this thread, but here is what I ended up doing. I purchased an RCI aluminum tank. Then dropped in a tanks inc pump and sump. Made new straps from a 94 camry and fits like a glove!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

What timing I am in the process of figuring out my tank setup.

Lots of good info in here.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 AM

My tank is made from 16 gauge, and it's a bit heavy. 18 is about the thinnest for a large tank. 20 can be used, but you would want some beads in it for added rigidity and a baffle or two just for support (see my photos). That's part of the reason I used a center baffle. If I'd made the tank from 20 gauge I'd have put in two baffles.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I just received my Tank from Rock Valley-it's Stainless, I told them I wanted to get it polished, so they built it from 14 Gauge

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.