home made jackstands/death - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yep , i am usually very careful , but i make mistakes too. when i got my first cougar i wanted it up high and on wheels so i could roll it around. i welded up angle and attached to the the door hinge mounts at the front and attemped to attach the rear ones to the rear leaf spring mounts.
it fell like a house of cards !!!! i then made up 1 foot square wooden blocks 20" high from 2x4 , very solid . we used then at grove mfg. to jack up cranes so i know there are safe.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

and take your time while setting up your car..better to be old,, slow,, and safe,,.... than to be young ,,fast,, and dead,,....
Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Chock the wheels, jack up the car, let it down on jack stands and keep the jack in place. If the wheels come off, they get slid under the car, if possible.

I never had any accidents, but when I think of all the time I spent under cars being held up by nothing by bumper jacks, or scissor jacks, or cheap *** floor jacks, I'm amazed nothing ever happened.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I had a car fall on my arm some years ago caught it between the drivers fender and the tire, Had a old set of ramps years ago that went into the ground and creeled over and bent i got out just in time ,And i lost a good friend to one falling off the jack nothing else under the car, I make sure to have things under whatever i am working on and i am always telling my son and others how to do it, And be safe not dead..It just scares me to death everytime my son calls me working on something and i can't be there to help..Cole
Old 10-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

i always put as many of my 12 ton jack stands under the truck as i can, if i run out of the 12 tons(have 4 of them) then ill throw a few smaller ones under there as well. always leave the jack somewhere under there as well. hell, sometimes iv even had the atv jack under there as well just for the hell of it, it may only be good for like 600lbs, but its just a little more safety.

iv used cinder blocks before, NEVER if im working under the vehicle tho. sometimes i may use it to make the jack tall enough to reach the frame since the truck is tall, when i do i always have wood on either side and do it in a way that im pretty much prepared/expecting it to break(its happened), and ill sneak some jack stands under there if i can without putting myself in a position that the truck would land on me. i try to avoid it, but it happens when youv got a lifted truck.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, to all the above. Use the best stands you can get, even if you have to buy 'em one at a time. Use jacks, blocks, or whatever supplemental stuff to help.

Learned my lesson in the early 80's working for a restoration shop. Some tool salesman came around selling these "new" plastic jack stands...gave us a set to try out. We used them a couple times on some foreign sports cars. Then we had a '47 Chevy sedan in for a restoration. I had put it up on the stands and taken out the transmission. Took a break for lunch. While we were sitting there eating, we heard a loud "CRACK". One stand broke, the next and the next...until the car was basically sitting on the floor. I could have been under it. Don't gamble!

Incidentally, we never did see the tool guy again........hmmm.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last journal entry: Getting there
Last photo:

I had a floorjack that the saddle tore from the post that slides into the reciever thing on the jack... Welds do break. I look like a complete idiot to a lot of people because I use jackstands and push the wheels under the car too. I'm a plant manager in a warehouse and have to explain to my guys NOT to go under a forklift (8000#) while it's on a floorjack
Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Whenever I've got the car up on jack stands, I'll usually give the car a good, hard shove or three to make sure everything is solid - once or twice it has shifted, but re-setting the stands took care of any potential problem.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

I use 12 ton stands when possible and always have a backup stand or block or something to hedge against the unexpected. You never know.
Sure, you could kill yourself but more likely you'll put a pin in your brain, suffer a stroke and be partly paralyzed. Of course, then you'll likely live a long life and be a pain in the *** to everyone, especially those selling your cars and parts so you can qualify for Medicaid.
For me, taking risks is OK but not when it comes to having my head crushed like a melon.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

I have worked on cars for 20 years and stuff does happen even on good firm ground. When I was putting my motor in my truck I had a Jack stand break which in turn sent the other one flying out from under the truck and the Floor jack lying on its side. When the stand broke the whole front of the truck shifted over. Luckily I had the tires under it and it stopped the truck from killing me. It sure left a big bruise on my shoulder though. Thank god my wife is not a widow and single mom.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:09 AM

Last photo:

Oh yeah...and when you're laying in a hospital bed with your eyelids taped open you can watch some lowlife hitting on the wife.
I use 12 ton stands and some sort of plan B in case that quality Chinese steel happens to break at the 1/4" unreinforced rachet part of the support pillar on the jack.

Buddy of mine got pinned under his Vicky when we were kids. Nearly got electrocuted from the wet floor and desk lamp he was using for light. It was winter, he was overweight and had lots of clothes on. He spent all day ripping and cutting them off to get out from under. We lost touch so maybe he will see this. I think he still owes me $5.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 PM

one time I used some jack stands from WALMART

one jack stand collapsed as I lowered the other side with a jack.

it collapsed inward from an angle from the weight.

wierd. I feel safer with giant log stumps under the car
Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

I have a 3 1/2 ton floor jack that I jack my projects up on and then put my snapon 3 ton jack stands under the car after taking the wheels off and putting the under the car/truck also. I never go under without testing the stability by giving it a big shove.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last journal entry: Getting there
Last photo:

I think I'd feel better with tree stumps too. or 6X6 railroad ties
Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

my dad uses 2 pieces of I beam as well as a 12 ton air jack

10" wide bottom
8" wide top
14" tall
24" long

He has had these for as long as I can rember. He still slides the tires under what ever he is working on. I guess that is where I get that from.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.