Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Home Made Leaf Spring Compressor
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Last journal entry: Bell Crank Fix
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I used it to install the springs in my '52 Chevy car. The springs fall about an inch or so short of the shackles with any sort of compression. I didn't think I was going to need anything like it, but when I started to put the leafs on and realized they didn't quite reach I started looking for some tricks online to help out. I found this idea, made the tool, and I'm REALLY glad I did! I was swapping a rear end, so this helped me for FOUR different things. getting the rear ends out of both cars, and getting them back in both cars. It helps to get it out by taking the tension off the shackles when it's partially compressed, so the shackles slide off way easy. I guess it just depends on what car you're working on, but for my '52 it was a life saver! When I first installed new springs in my '52 I didn't have this, and I had to put a wood block in between the frame and the spring, then jack up the axle to compress the spring a little to get things to fit. That was a huge pain in the ***.