Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Home Made Metal Break.....anyone done it?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

making a metal break

yes I have made one, to build mine I used some one inch plate that I made a basic table with a wall on each side. then I made the locking top with a simple 1" piece of cold roll on the top of the piece and mounted into two slots on each of the side wall so it would pivot up and down. the bottom edge I cut at a 45 with a track torch. the bottom piece is just a simple 1" plate that fits flush with the table and most important is the hinges are 1" steel dowels that are offset so the bottom piece makes a true and straight bend instead of rounding the metal. this particular break will bend 1/8 inch plate 4' wide with ease, I have broken small 1/4" on it pretty good. If you are short on cash, I have seen several ways to use vise grips a couple of pieces of angle iron and go to town. but probably the easiest one I have is a cheep one I bought at one of those traveling tool sells which I reinforced added some hydraulics and wah lah.great machine under $500