Home made oil primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 11:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Home made oil primer

Anyone out there know a way to make an engine oil primer for SBC? I hate to think about spending 20 bucks on something you use once for less than a minute.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2004, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Nova,
That $20 spent is hell of a lot cheaper then spun bearings or a wiped out cam. As for the 1min. With a 1/2 drill, it takes a good 6 minutes to properly prime an engine, in excess of 11 to insure no airation in system. My boss designed that primer years ago. . .It's good insurance. Our new design allows for sealing of the galleys around the distributor and faster priming.

Hell get one then when somebody else needs it sell it to them.

Chris
Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Chris. $20 is a drop in the bucket compared to possible engine damage.

With that said if you really don't want to spend $20 on it, you can take an old distributor and modify it. That's what I used for years until I loaned it out and never saw it again. I went ahead and bought a primer and I am glad I did.

If you want to modify an old distributor, you have to remove the gear, and cut the part with teeth off of it. Then reinstall what is left (basically a sleeve). While you have the shaft out cut off the top of the distributor, you only need the part of the housing from just above the hold down. Now turn /grind down the top of the shaft to fit your drill. You can prime the engine with a 3/8" drill motor but, it will take a little longer and beat up the drill pretty good (meaning it will get hot, I have even seen them smoke).

I didn't go into every detail but, that should give you the idea of what you need to do. It isn't that hard and if you have the tools and a old distributor it is basically free. If you can scratch up $20 I would just go buy one.

Royce
Old 04-08-2004, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the advise. I thought maybe there was an eay way - the 351W was a snap. All that took was a socket extension.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:20 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I'm not a ford guy, but this works on Chevys. Cut the handle off a screwdriver and you've gotta homemade primer. But I did drop the $20 on the primer, its a good tool to have.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:41 PM

Rent one from autozone use it, start your motor etc.. then drive your car that you just started the motor to autzone to drop it off. So then it'd be yer first drive their

-Eric
Old 04-08-2004, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Ghetto Jet, You can not just use a screwdriver. The reason is you won't get oil to some parts of the engine. You have to have the bosses on the distributor body to complete the circuit.

Royce
Old 04-08-2004, 04:55 PM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:

I took an old distributor gear from a sbc and ground off the gear for the cam and hooked the end of it into a drill and that worked just fine

Ben
Old 04-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yep, grind off the teeth, pry off the advance plate, chuck up the drill and go for it. ( clockwise rotation on the drill)
Old 04-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

HEY, if you can save a penny here or there why not? I remember my college days where the money went for either school or car parts, and if I had anything left, so much the better!
I'd got a hunk of 3/8" copper tubing about 14" long. Try to get a straight piece, if you can't roll it between to flat surfaces (garage floor and a piece of thick plywood). Next flatten one end with a vice (so the flatten section is centered on the copper rod (not eccentric). Then buy/get a 1/2" copper tubing bushing the sweat on type. Insert the flatten end into the bushing so it's all the way thru. Next silver solder these to parts together. You might try regular lead solder, but if you want this tool to last, use silver solder. The coupling acts as a collar to keep the flatten end of the rod from flying off the oil pump when you spin it with a variable speed drill.
This is what I used for years. ...till I ran across a hunk of S.Stl. tubing! It's in my garage now and used every time I want to prime the oil pump/engine. My $0.02 anyway, Good Luck! ...Mark
Old 04-08-2004, 05:23 PM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:

haha yea you dont want to go counter-clockwise, forgot to add that.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:00 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Camaroman I'm going to have to ask you if can explain to me how this http://www.taperformance.com/_derive...rimer_Tool.gif (exactly what my $20 Moroso primer looks like) does anything thing different than a large flathead screw driver. As the question was can a homemade oil pump primer be made, to substitute a $20 primer.

Mike
Old 04-09-2004, 01:42 AM

The best way if you have a spare distributor is how many others have said, cut it up remove the gear and spin way this way it seals everything adn you get oil everywhere.... and yeah prime it for a full 5-10 minuets just to be sure, we do..
Old 04-09-2004, 07:44 AM
Just making my rounds...

Last journal entry: Propane stuff - 2
Last photo:

In some cases you'll find you will need to turn the engine over in 90 degree increments to get the oil flowing from all the rockers.

Start priming at one point 'till the oil flows from some rockers, rotate engine 90 degrees, prime untill oil comes from some other rockers, turn engine over 90 degrees.......and so on.

The moroso (and others) primers don't have the bosses to help build pressure through the system. If you were to use one of these, when you look down into the hole beside the primer, you'd see TONS of oil splaching around the priming tool. This huge oil leak prevents the system from building enough pressure to efficiently prime the lubrication system.

Looking at the bottom of a SBC distributor, you'll see 2 machined bosses above the drive gear. These prevent the oil flow from shooting down into the oil pan, and force the oil to run down the galleries where it should be.

Here is the ProForm version which has the bosses at the bottom to allow the oil pressure to build up to its' full potential. This is from Jeg's online store, but you could source it from other places.

Priming Tool
2001 HD Sportster 1200
[url=http://www.chevylegends.com]Click HERE to visit Chevylegends.com![/url]
Old 04-09-2004, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Ghetto Jet,
19_Chevelle_69 beat me to the answer. I don't sell these tools so it is no skin off my back if you want to use a screwdriver. I was just pointing out there was a difference. Either buy the "better" tool or modify a distributor, those are the only "good" options (IMO).

thanks 19_Chevelle_69 for chiming in when I was away.

Royce

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.