home made race gas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2003, 01:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

home made race gas

i saw a post awile back on home made race fuel does it work good and how is it done in idiot terms

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

you basucally have to add some anti detonant agent, The only one i know of is tolulene, an organic solvent that when added to gasoline raises the octane rating of the gas, but to get to 105 or above you have to add quite a bit, like 10-30% depending on what octane rating you start out with

you can also add methanol bt this changes the jetting requirements fo the carb,

Here is a copy paste from : www.turbofast.com.au

ANTI PRE-IGNITION ADDITIVES

WE now come to the use of additives for reasons other than power increase. In this chapter we will deal only with additives that can be of assistance to us in connection with Pre-ignition and the other problem of Detonation.

We again go through our three basic fuels in the same order.

WHEN USING PETROL . . .

We have three additives in Methanol, Acetone and Benzole (Benzene) and all of them are introduced with the main object of reducing Detonation by increasing in effect the Octane rating of the total fuel. Pre-ignition in general should not present a problem when using as basic fuel petrol.

Methanol in Petrol. This is the best from the point of view of reducing Detonation, followed by Acetone and then Benzole in that order.

Methanol can be added in all proportions up to 100 percent, but as an additive limited to 10 percent will give an Octane increase of about 5 points. For example 98 Octane can be increased to 103, or looking at it another way, cheap fuel of say 91 Octane can, by the use of 10 percent Methanol, or approximately three quarters of a pint per gallon, will produce fuel of 96 Octane.

Acetone in Petrol. Can be used up to 100 percent but with the nominal 10 percent will give an increase of 3 points rather than 5.

The major difference from Methanol being that due to the higher calorific value of Acetone, the consumption does not increase so much, but still provides a higher octane rating.

Benzole (Benzene) in Petrol. Again can be used up to 100 percent but with the 10 percent amount will provide in points a rise of 2.

In many cases this additive is used to counteract detonation since some 10 percent will, in certain cases, provide enough rise in octane rating to do just that.

WHEN USING METHANOL .

Now we come to Methanol as the main fuel, and as additives to reduce Preignition and/or Detonation we have two.

Acetone in Methanol. Here we are concerned only with Pre-ignition since Methanol has itself a very high octane rating, and is therefore to be regarded as almost free from detonation problems.

Once again our figure of 10 percent is the most advantageous use of the additive, as over that figure has a declining effect in proportion to the amount used.

The effect of using this additive is to move the auto-ignition point upwards, and this was fully explained as will be remembered.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:33 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

The best home made race gas you can have for a performance increase consits of 93 octane pump gas and 10% nitromethane, ( this is the brew I use for nitrous) without forged pistons though, youll melt those pistons like butter...I havent ever went past 10% and wouldnt recomend going past 10% either...<<<<<tis enough

An internal combustion engine can burn more than 2 times as much nitromethane to a given volume of air than it can methanol.

Last edited by 2wld4u; 07-17-2003 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Everything you wanted to know.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:19 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Nitromethane???Thats gotta be good for getting rid of tailgaters.
Does it smell the same mixed in gas??
Old 07-17-2003, 11:39 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Here is the stuff I use, be sure to brows the site for tech info

http://www.pricechemical.com/max_race.htm
Old 07-17-2003, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Quick reality check here!!!!

Remember that a higher octane number means that the fuel actually burns SLOWER! In an engine with "normal" compression ratios, this means that using higher octane fuel will actually drop your power.

Can that be true?? Yep! It actually does check out! Check out the latest Car Craft. They ran the same engine with a highe octane fuel on a dyno and the power dropped. When they increased the timing they gained back the lost power, but did not make anything extra.

Did I mention the many octane boosters will cook your seals? Well, there your go. You're not going to get any benifit from higher octane until you get above 10:1 compression in most engines.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:29 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

1.) Car Craft is made by a bunch of idiots.

2.)I think you believe your Californian govt's brainwashing too much.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:40 PM

Car Craft is one of the best mags still around,I subscribe to it,Chevy HP, and National Dragster...but this really ought to be in its own post.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:29 PM

it is true though, it really isn't beneficial to run a higher octane that your engine requires as it takes more cylinder pressure to get as explosive combustion. in retrospect if you run to low of an octane you get detonation.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:47 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dozier768
it is true though, it really isn't beneficial to run a higher octane that your engine requires as it takes more cylinder pressure to get as explosive combustion. in retrospect if you run to low of an octane you get detonation.
While this is true... (I even tried it in my car) It is not because the pressure is needed for explosive combustion, more of a matter that it won't ignite as quickly..

If you do not believe it try running a car that doesn't need premium on regular then premium (with a stock engine of course) You will see that it may not have the power with the premium
Old 07-17-2003, 10:58 PM

YEA !!!!! I can use everclear for octane booster!

now thats dual use

Quote:
Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:01 PM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

"Will I gain power with more octane" NO!! The engines octane requirements make sure they don't knock or ping. Only reason I see to increase the octane is to prevent ping, once you get the ping stopped with a level of octane going higher won't give you any more power.

In other words, if your car runs great and doesn't ping or knock at an octane rating of 87, running on gasoline with an octane rating of 90 or more will make absolutely no difference.

Last edited by GearHead69; 07-17-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stonedchihuahua
While this is true... (I even tried it in my car) It is not because the pressure is needed for explosive combustion, more of a matter that it won't ignite as quickly..

If you do not believe it try running a car that doesn't need premium on regular then premium (with a stock engine of course) You will see that it may not have the power with the premium
the higher the pressure the quicker the reaction, the quicker the reaction the more explosive it is, the more explosive it is the more power it produces, thats why a higher compression motor is typically capable of producing more power. the trick is controlled burn, you don't want the pressure to ignite the gas before the optimal ignition time on the stroke, thats why people run higher octane fuels in their high comp motors, and thats the only reason.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:05 PM

I got some gas from a place that had really low prices and it made my truck run like crap and my my moms car ping
I just went up to autozone grabbed some booster and it runs good now

I wandered why their gas was 1.29 while the other gas stations gas was liek 1.40 somthing

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.