Home made SAS ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 03:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just to add a little more about the mask/hood, I don't think it would be a good idea at all to use any kind of sealing mask with high pressure air, on a home built system anyway. By high pressure I mean any pressure higher than what would be safe to breath. A loose fitting hood of course would eliminate any potential over-pressure problems and would make the system simpler to design and much safer. IMO for what something like a Hobbyair system costs it would just be good insurance and eliminate the "what ifs" and when you subtract what you will spend building one it should not cost all that much more.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

I am also curious if anyone has tried using a CPAP machine for fresh air. This is a medical device for sleep apnea, it forces air into your mouth or nose to eliminate snoring. Since it is a medical device it is obviously safe. I plan on steeling it from the wife the next time I paint in my garage and using a different hood or mask. Has anyone else thought of this before? What would be a good hood or mask to use?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-09-2008, 11:47 PM

Oldred covered it pretty good, and I guess about the only thing that I could add, if you make up your own system, I would have somebody watching you all the time that you are using it.

Just don't take the supplied air lightly, even the boughten systems, and don't forget, anything that comes through that hose is going directly into your lungs, this is some serious stuff here guys.

There is a lot to learn about supplied air, and how to use a respirator, and I know everybody isn't retired like I am, and has the time to read about it.

I also know there are a lot of guys on here a whole lot smarter then I am and can probably build a working system, but even a good working system has its pitfalls wether its homemade or boughten.

Some of you have read this before, but in case you haven't, I'll put it out again, its just brushing the surface on respirators, but every little bit helps.

Here it is. http://www.1969supersport.com/respirators.html

Rob

http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 08-10-2008, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all of the input so far, it is much appreciated. Keep it coming

I too have been SCBA certified for 25+ years. PADI certified for 20+ years. Been certified numerous times for full face respirators, every time I go to job site that has asbestos the General Contractor doesnt care about any cards in your pocket, you WILL take their selected course and cert. ( The only reason my wallet is thick, cuz there are few greenbacks in it,lol)

AccuSpray 240 turbine, note the turbine intake is through its own filter with a bulkhead between it and the cooling air to the turbine motor;

Set the airflow:

http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=18

Final filter:

http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=23

They sell a hood identical to this except it is made of a vinyl material for added durability for an additional $5 fee. Either hood assy. comes with 5 face shield protectors.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Couldnt you just get a longer hose and run it outside? and breathe through it....kinda like in snorkling?

Shane
Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Thanks for all of the input so far, it is much appreciated. Keep it coming

I too have been SCBA certified for 25+ years. PADI certified for 20+ years. Been certified numerous times for full face respirators, every time I go to job site that has asbestos the General Contractor doesnt care about any cards in your pocket, you WILL take their selected course and cert. ( The only reason my wallet is thick, cuz there are few greenbacks in it,lol)

AccuSpray 240 turbine, note the turbine intake is through its own filter with a bulkhead between it and the cooling air to the turbine motor;

Set the airflow:

http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=18

Final filter:

http://www.turbineproducts.com/servlet/Detail?no=23

They sell a hood identical to this except it is made of a vinyl material for added durability for an additional $5 fee. Either hood assy. comes with 5 face shield protectors.

These are the parts you plan to use? If so you should be able to put together a good workable system. This is a heck of a lot different than what usually is asked about, using something like a shop vac or compressor air for the air supply. Compressor air is inherently dangerous for several reasons that MUST be taken into consideration and dealt with before using which more often than not will cost more than just buying a system. A shop vac, or even worse a home vac, has some major drawbacks too the biggest is the fact it spews out contaminated air no matter how clean the intake air is. If it is a used vac it will be contaminating the air with untold different kinds of trash from dust mites to whatever plus all kinds of debris from the mechanical parts (mostly the motor) as they go through the normal wear process. Someone using a vac of any kind may think they are breathing safe air when in fact they could very well be coating their lungs with all kinds of trash, plastics, carbon particles, copper particles, all kinds of electrical insulation and varnish, etc. A breathing air supply is not something to take lightly and if a person makes a mistake it could be a serious one so anyone contemplating doing this needs to realize they may be betting their health and maybe their very life that they did not overlook something.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.