Hot Rod Forum banner

Home made tools

71K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  Oldguy48 
#1 ·
Home made tools!

Any of you guys make some of your own tools.
Homade blast cabinet for example or anything like that?
Something you had to modify to work better etc.

#5 ·
Nice welder cart, Johnny. Looks great!

I whipped this one up. It will get another level/shelf when I add a plasma cutter and probably a drawer for "stuff". I'm probably going to change the wheels though - they are marginal due to the weight of the 180SD. If I add more weight to it, it's going to become pretty hard to move around. The bottle chain bracket is from my MM210 that had that piece left over since I had bought the spoolgun kit which came with a bracket for dual tanks.

I also did a custom hydraulic conversion on my JD2 tube bender :

#10 ·
this is a "Intergrip Panel Clamps " as Eastwood likes to call them, they also like to charge you 30$ for 4 of them. i think i spent 15$ at Home Depot and i can make a whole bunch of them. i used a 1/2" aluminum square tubing, a threaded rod with the same pitch as the wing nut and some 22 gage sheet metal. it worked out pretty good.

Next is a brake i plan on making with a Bridgeport.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
its to hold 2 pieces of flat (or kinda flat) sheet metal together while keeping them flush and close together (0.0299" ~ 22 gage) it works really good.

what i did was cut the the threaded rod just long enough to grip onto the wing nut and then mark it in the middle with a cut-off saw. i used the mark to start cutting it down the middle with a hacksaw (it has a thin blade so the 22 gage metal will fit perfect) i then spot welded a small piece of 22 gage metal to it and bend the bottom part.

Attachments

#14 ·
53LEDSLED said:
its to hold 2 pieces of flat (or kinda flat) sheet metal together while keeping them flush and close together (0.0299" ~ 22 gage) it works really good.

what i did was cut the the threaded rod just long enough to grip onto the wing nut and then mark it in the middle with a cut-off saw. i used the mark to start cutting it down the middle with a hacksaw (it has a thin blade so the 22 gage metal will fit perfect) i then spot welded a small piece of 22 gage metal to it and bend the bottom part.

Harbor Freight sells them for I thing 4 for about $5.00. But I did not see them on the counter and asked and they were behind the counter by the welding stuff. Ed ke6bnl

#15 ·
I feel right at home now.
The grinder I made out of an old washing machine motor and a rim from an old ford. I think I spent 22.00 on it total. it is set up to power my wet stone also.

The press brake goes in my 55 ton press. It will bend 12 gauge mild steel 90* 30" wide.

The pulley wrench is for turning motors over that have no balancer bolt. The chain and curved foot go in the groove of a pulley and you work it like a oil filter wrench.

The little gauges are for checking the installed angle of U-joints and the one with the zip ties is for checking the pushrod depth in a master cylinder to brake booster pushrod relationship.
I got more coming , mikey

Attachments

#16 ·
Well I dont know if this counts as a tool or more of a attachment but it was one of the more complex things I made from scratch. . .

Its called a" stinger" for moving Mobile homes across black top roads just like on the back of a "toter" this was when the little machines they have now were way expensive.

Bull dozer's don't do good on asphalt :nono:

I thunk it up all by myself :drunk:

Man I was sweating it because I didn't know if it would work :sweat: :sweat: but it did
I couldn't tell if the tractor would wheelie or not until I hooked it up :sweat: theoretically it was 50/50 but I knew if it DID wheelie I could fill the bucked with dirt or something for counter weight

4" bore 4' stroke Hydraulic ram with a electric over Hydraulic "monarch pump" 12 volts that fit on the back of a 1971 CASE CBK 580 back hoe

1" plate for the whole thing :D

The back hoe detached

The ball had a double hitch & I made a stand for it too as seen here
Blurry sorry

Took about a month to build after hours & was the only one in the area I know about that could move mobile homes on pavement

It never got painted because I got hurt & had to leave the job

& I never got to weigh it either lost all the digital pictures to a virus too they probably scrapped it for beer money by now :rolleyes:

R :thumbup:

Attachments

#17 ·
Here is some more
I made my own tubing bender. I have several others but none of them worked like I wanted them to.
This one gets really close to the fitting if I want it to. The part with the bolt through it flips over to bend tubing or close to the tubing nut. There is a small notch on the stationary part of the handle to do close offsets. The die rolls around to make putting the tube in easier. It is helpful when you are working in close quarters like under a car.

Attachments

#18 ·
I fabbed up a tool to help get the clutch fan/pulley off my '97 C1500's water pump....See pics.

In a while, Chet.

Attachments

#19 ·
Here's some mora....
Here is a little edge roller I made for doing little trim pieces. It will go around curves too. I made the flanger also.( the flanger was way fun. I had to make a holder to put a die grinder on my lathe tool post,(live tooling, mikey style), so I could modify a 5/8" end mill so I could cut the T shaped die block that fit over the jaws on the vise grips. It only took me about 6 hours to make that tool and save the 35.00 it would have cost me to buy a set of flangers.)
The block looking thing goes in my press and will squish a GM steering shaft back into a double "D" after it gets shortened.
I have scads of this stuff. Mikey

Attachments

#20 ·
Rob Keller said:
Home made pressuriized sand/media blaster holds about 700lbs of stuff.

110 lb ones run about just over $1,000 mine cost about $25

Hey Rob, Are you sure that isn't your thermos? :thumbup: mikey

#22 ·
powerrodsmike said:
Hey Rob, Are you sure that isn't your thermos? :thumbup: mikey
In the day time as far as the DEA know it 's SAND BLASTER!! :mwink:

At night when the moon is right its a still :drunk:

Fuels us & the race cars

Zoom Zoom Zoom :D

Originally it was a commercial pool filter

#23 ·
Here are a few of my home made tools.

The added piece on the square allows for a better foot on curved stuff, such as the radius on sq. tube.

The tramels are very handy. and radius can be 20' with a full length of tubing.

:D Wedges dogs and 7's. We all know wedges will move mountains with a few raps of the hammer.

Half clamps, VERY handy, tack and clamp. Never toss out a broken tool!! ;)

Hope these help someone out.

Joe

Attachments

#25 ·
1Rookie said:
This is good. It's always interesting to see how we can manage to create things that we need. If you dont mind i'll borrow a lot of ideas here lol.
It's fun to share. BUT- If I see my idea on a tool rack somewhere being produced and sold by 1rookie tool company we will have to share a little the other way though. hahahaaha. (that's why i don't share the GOOD stuff. just cant't trust everyone.)
So what kind of car are you working on, 1Rookie?
some pics would be cool.
later, mikey

#26 · (Edited)
Geez dont worry about 1rookie tool company!!! For years I played (helped) others with theyre projects. a freind Nova SS 73, Chevelle 70 things like that, earlier in life I had a road runner 69 I paid 2500$ for a while It was mint and I was the second owner (wish I still had this one$$$) and a nova 73 that I took apart and drag raced a couples of years. Then I bought a house with no garage thats why I was helping others. Now we just got a new house and the condition was it had to have a garage. 21 by 28 by 10 ft high while building it I installed 2 air lines per wall at 4 ft high in the structure and all the electrical stuff. 220v for the compressor and another for the welder + one more just in case. Ill post pics as soon I get some. The toys are a 95 mustang GT a Harley Road King 2003 and a my wife has a 2005 Sporster. But as soon i install a 4 post lift I'll find a project to play with. I need the lift bcaus I dont want to lose parking space for the stang and hogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.