Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - homebrew parts washer
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 04:47 AM
Rat Rodder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis
Thanks so far for the input. There is something worrying me at the moment: I inquired about industry cleaners that are offered for such parts washers and found that these are TREMENDOUSLY expensive where I live.

What did you do? It's possible that such cleaners are cheaper in the USA, but probably not. These cleaners usually contain kerosene, is it possible to use normal kerosene which is probably cheaper, or does anybody have a special receipe for a cleaning mixture?

Regards
Martin
I just use plain diesel fuel in mine. Works well and when you leave it sit for a while all the heavy solids sink to the bottom and the remaining diesel is fairly clean.
I've found it works well at getting rid of the large amount of crap that accumulates and then I just give whatever I'm cleaning a quick degrease and hose. Job done.

BTW, my parts cleaner is a 60 litre drum on it's side and cut in half. It's welded to a frame with wheels and has a large(ish) pump underneath it.
Don't know what the pump was originally for, but it was cheap at a junk sale.