Homebuilt paint booth question!!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
Well, I am about to try just that. I'm setting up my home booth right now and am planning not to cut and buff. We shall see!

I'm painting my '55 Chevy Bel Air hardtop. I'm going to start out by just painting the top and I think I'll be ready to do that Wednesday.

Just a few dust nibs wont bother me but hair would. I'll be using a hood w/ supplied air and a full suit.

I'm using 12" dual electric radiator cooling fan set for exhaust. I got a 12V 30 amp power supply off of ebay to run them. The fan set are 2000 cfm which I believe is pretty good. I thought this was a good alternative to expensive sealed fans and I had the fans just lying around anyway.

I may post a picture tomorrow of my setup and see if you guys might have any suggestions.
Hope you radiator fans are not brush type motors, they can spark at the commutator.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 07:14 AM
©®™

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Hope you radiator fans are not brush type motors, they can spark at the commutator.
Radiator fan motors are sealed.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
©®™

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Good luck and post some pics when you're done.
Thanks, luck is always needed for me with this kind of thing.

I'm not done yet but I thought I'd post a some pics.

Here's my 14' X 24' paint room before any work had ever been done in there:

Here's a shot of my radiator fan setup. I used 3 fans that gives me about 3,000 cfm of air movement. The power supply will handle 30 Amps at 100% which is pretty close to the draw of the 3 fans.

Here's a couple of shots of my filters mounted in the window holes of the garage door:

I've sprayed the white epoxy sealer and then 2 coats of India Ivory base and here's pictures afterwards in order:

I am going to sand the base, put on one more coat and then clear coat it. The base didn't go on as smooth as I wanted. I think it was because it was over 90 degrees and I used normal reducer and I should have used slow. I do have some slow that I'll use for the last coat.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Looks real good so far. Base from my experience doesn't flow out as smooth as you would think. It's the clear that smooths things out. Since you're not working with a metallic it shouldn't be a problem to sand the base. Just remember to shoot enough clear, especially if you intend to cut and buff. Two coats at a bare minimum... three would be a bunch better.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead." - Sterling Moss
Old 10-07-2011, 01:01 PM
©®™

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Looks real good so far. Base from my experience doesn't flow out as smooth as you would think. It's the clear that smooths things out. Since you're not working with a metallic it shouldn't be a problem to sand the base. Just remember to shoot enough clear, especially if you intend to cut and buff. Two coats at a bare minimum... three would be a bunch better.
Thanks.

It was over 90 yesterday and I should have been using the slow reducer instead of the normal that I used.
Yeah, I could probably get away with sanding this solid base and then going to clear but, I think I'll be better off doing one more coat of base with the slow reducer. So, I'm going to get that on today (It's 90 again).

However, I don't have any slow activator for my clear so I'm going to get up early in the morning when it is cooler to spray that.

I'm intending not to cut and buff. So, I'm planning on 2 maybe 3 coats. However, if it looks like it's not as smooth as I want, I can always put on a couple more coats and go ahead and cut/buff. This is the largest panel I've ever done with bc/cc so it's a challenge. Here's the dash on this car that I didn't cut or buff. It's as-sprayed with my Iwata LPH-400:

I'll post back to report.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 PM
©®™

Last photo:

Update

I got my last coat of base on and it did go on smoother with the slow reducer. However, I find it impossible to spray a top this big without getting some dry overspray on the 1st side I spray when coating the second side. On the first side, I start at the edge and spray to the middle and then walk over to the other side and start at the middle and spray to the edge. But, still get dry overspray on the 1st side. I hope the clear doesn't do this.

Anyway, I'll tack it off in the morning and spray my clear. I think I've seen about 3 or 4 dust nibs I'll hit very lightly with 800 before hand.

To the point of this thread, it seems my makeshift paint booth is working pretty well. I'll know more after the clear. There's a big rainstorm coming in tomorrow, I hope to beat it since I wont be able to paint in the rain with my booth setup. I'll report again after spraying the clear with a pic or 2.

Btw, I don't think I could paint with it any hotter than this (90 degrees & 45% humidity). I put the inlet of my Hobby Air unit right in front of my A/C unit in the adjacent room. The little bit cooler air going into the hood made it so my face didn't sweat. But I was very sweaty in the Tyvek suit (with nothing on underneath).

Last edited by roger1; 10-07-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

I'm just glad to see someone in Texas is expecting a big rainstorm.

I'll be interested to know how the clear goes on the roof with regards to overspray drying on the other half.

I suppose in commercial paint booths with the air draft coming down it probably isn't an issue.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

90 degrees? Dang! It just quit snowing here. Earliest snow I've seen since we moved to Arizona.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!" - Anonymous
Old 10-08-2011, 01:39 PM
©®™

Last photo:

So, it's raining hard! And, it's supposed to continue through tomorrow.

I did beat the rain though and got my top cleared. I put on 3 wet coats. I had some trouble with bugs. I think they came in through the fans which I had left in the window overnight. So, they were in the room already when I started. I had to pick a couple of them out of the top with a needle.

Overspray was not a problem with the clear at all. The whole top looks nice and glossy.

There are some dust nibs but not too bad. A couple of piece of dust are black specs. I don't know where they came from. Got to get your eye pretty close to see them. You would never see them on dark or medium color or a metallic. White (or Ivory in this case) is not very forgiving of dust with color.

The clear did lay down pretty darn smooth with almost no orange peel. I think I will just hit the dust nibs with sandpaper only and lightly run the polisher over it.

So, in summary, my makeshift spray booth is not as clean as a pro one for sure. Not sure how I really could have done it better except to have not left a way for bugs to get in the room before I started spraying. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. This top by far will be the hardest part of the car to spray for me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.