Homebuilt paint booth question!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Homebuilt paint booth question!!!

I have a (1) car garage that I use for extra storage etc. I want to paint a car in it, my question is where my big door is I am going to run filters along the floor and have the door close up to them, and I don't want to cut a hole in my wall at the opposite end, instead my walkin door is on the side wall at the opposite end. I'm thinking to put my fan in the door way and cover the rest with visqueen, will this work o.k.?? I am open for all suggestions, thanks again, Dana

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The fan location may be a bit inconvenient other than that it should be Ok. What are you doing for heat? Getting to that time of the year..

Sam
Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

What I would do is run a couple fans on the garage door end with filters pushing air in and then just a single filter at your other door letting air out. That way your "booth" will be pressurized and you won't have a lot of air moving around inside stirring up dust. With a couple boxed fans you should be able to exchange the air in a single car garage in about 2 minutes. More importantly... make sure you have a high quality breathing mask or even better a fresh air system while your painting. No sense in ruining your health just to paint a car.

See how I did my booth HERE.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“The only place you'll find a helping hand is at the end of your own wrist" - Joe "Dr. Olds" Mondello
Old 10-02-2011, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Wouldn't you want more fans pulling air out instead of moving it in so it removes more of the overspray?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
Wouldn't you want more fans pulling air out instead of moving it in so it removes more of the overspray?
Not when you're using plastic sheeting for walls. If you have rigid walls a negative pressure booth would work but with any kind of flexible walls you want positive pressure to keep dust down. If you don't have that the plastic will move around a lot which not only kicks up dust but also creates static electricity. You could use a single fan to help remove air (behind a filter of course) just as long as you keep more air going in than coming out.

Like I said it takes about two minutes to completely replace the air in a single car sized booth with just two 20" box fans running on medium speed.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates
Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Well this is good to know because I would have done it completely the opposite.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

So basically you are saying because I have rigid walls I should make sure I push air instead of pulling air?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
©®™

Last photo:

The one thing to be aware of is that with positive pressure, any leak you have in your garage may get paint overspray stuck on the outside of the leaks. It can be a real mess.

Some paints like Omni are real bad about this because the overspray doesn't dry as fast as other paints.

I prefer to have the fans to blow out rather than in due to this.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39chevy
So basically you are saying because I have rigid walls I should make sure I push air instead of pulling air?
You said you intended to use visqueen on your walls. That's hardly rigid.

If you're sucking more air out than your pumping in the visqueen will act just like a flag and flap with the air movement. If its pressurized it basically won't move at all.

Also Roger1 is correct in that you will need to seal everything with duct tape to keep air from leaking out anywhere but where you want it to exit. In my booth it took about $10 in duct tape to seal it all.

By the way, this booth wasn't the first I had built that way. I've done three cars in two different garages using this kind of booth and have been very pleased with the results each time.

This one was done with DuPont Chroma Premere BC/CC and Chromalusion flames

This truck was done with Omni single stage Hemi Orange

And this one was done with Napa brand single stage Ford Candy Apple Red

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“The only place you'll find a helping hand is at the end of your own wrist" - Joe "Dr. Olds" Mondello

Last edited by Centerline; 10-02-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

Centerline, Very nice paint jobs!! O.K. I hope I don't sound like a broken record, But This is how I was going to do my (1) car garage booth, I only have rigid walls and now I will put 2 box (20 in) fans underneath garage dr, enclose the rest of the garage dr top and bottom. Then my side dr (walkin) at the opposite end, but still on the side wall, should I put only (1) filter to exhaust? I will enclose the rest of the side dr, I just want to make it clear, thanks again, Dana
Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

If you're not going to put plastic on the walls you could run a cross flow booth where you have just as much air coming in as going out. But if you're going to use plastic to cover the walls (I suggest you do if you don't want them painted too) then just keep more coming in than going out. You could use one fan sucking air out at your walk in door with the other two at the garage door pushing in. That will work. Make sure you use decent filters and let the fans run for an hour or two before you clean the inside of the booth. This will let any loose filter material to be removed before you paint. After you let the fans run a while, clean the inside of the booth the best you can to get any dust out before you bring the car in to paint.

Good luck with your paint job.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot." - Larry Lujack
Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Finally got it really good, thanks again, Hey if mine comes out half as good as yours I'd be happy, and thanks again, Dana
Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Don't let anyone fool you about a home booth. You will have to cut and buff the final product. No matter what you do you'll get some dust nibs and the occasional hair in the paint. Don't let that worry you though. Its all part of the painting process.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

The most important things you learn are those things you learn AFTER you know it all. -- Chip Foose
Old 10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
©®™

Last photo:

Well, I am about to try just that. I'm setting up my home booth right now and am planning not to cut and buff. We shall see!

I'm painting my '55 Chevy Bel Air hardtop. I'm going to start out by just painting the top and I think I'll be ready to do that Wednesday.

Just a few dust nibs wont bother me but hair would. I'll be using a hood w/ supplied air and a full suit.

I'm using 12" dual electric radiator cooling fan set for exhaust. I got a 12V 30 amp power supply off of ebay to run them. The fan set are 2000 cfm which I believe is pretty good. I thought this was a good alternative to expensive sealed fans and I had the fans just lying around anyway.

I may post a picture tomorrow of my setup and see if you guys might have any suggestions.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1
Well, I am about to try just that. I'm setting up my home booth right now and am planning not to cut and buff. We shall see!

I'm painting my '55 Chevy Bel Air hardtop. I'm going to start out by just painting the top and I think I'll be ready to do that Wednesday.

Just a few dust nibs wont bother me but hair would. I'll be using a hood w/ supplied air and a full suit.

I'm using 12" dual electric radiator cooling fan set for exhaust. I got a 12V 30 amp power supply off of ebay to run them. The fan set are 2000 cfm which I believe is pretty good. I thought this was a good alternative to expensive sealed fans and I had the fans just lying around anyway.

I may post a picture tomorrow of my setup and see if you guys might have any suggestions.
Good luck and post some pics when you're done.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead." - Sterling Moss

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.