homemade 302 boss - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

homemade 302 boss

hey im new here ive had many o mustangs love em like i love my son lol but i have a question i like the boss 302 engine i have 3 mustangs but i got a new one i have a 1990 mustang gt and it has a c6 with 3500 stall and 373 gears full roll cage and the nice built in connectors underneath and i would like sum info well long story short i love to talk lol but anyhoos i got a 306 motor freshy rebuilt and a set of clevland heads wonder what to do like tips or trick if i can turn it into a boss engine i have a b303 cam will it work any suggestions or comments that are not rude will be greatly appreciated thnx guyz

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

Its called a clevor motor. You would need new pistons and a custom intake among many other things. But since you already have the short block I would get some good aftermarket heads. There was a thread on here if you surch for it they have a lot of info in there.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 PM

Last journal entry: 69 Stang - C&L Pipe - Electric Fan
Last photo:

This discusses doing this with a 351W but the approach is the same. The biggest issue is an intake. Like NovaSS said serach for "Clevor" both here and Google for more info.

http://www.themustangshop.com/clevor.cfm

I'd still like to do a Boss 302 clone doing the same as a nice driveable Boss looking Stang.

-Stephen
Old 11-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Clevors are an old tech deal..There are lots of very good heads now for Fords and by the time one getss done building a clevor it is cheaper to just get the good heads..

Sam
Old 11-11-2006, 01:35 AM

There's no way to make a Boss engine, it either is one or isn't. You can build a Clevor, which is as close as you can get.

Bolting a set of Cleveland heads on a standard Windsor can lead to disaster if you don't have the correct pistons or the coolant passages properly adapted.

Some more details on the 306 motor and what specific Cleveland heads you have would be helpful. I'll get into the cam later but it would be more helpful to post the specs instead of just a number.

I'm not saying these are great articles but they will give some visual reference to the process.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/30220/
http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/351x/351x.htm
http://www.darkhorseracing.net/clevor_head_mod.htm
Old 11-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I wouldn't try and do the work needed to sswap the Cleveland heads. They were great at one time, but most new aftermarket Windsor heads will out perform them. If you like the angle valve heads some of the FRPP heads are based on that design, but are far superior. As an after note, Ford has just announced that they are re-releasing the Boss 302 as a crate engine. Based on their modern components. It was reported that a crate Boss 302 with 350HP wil sell for about $4650. They will be offering other versions up to a 331 inch 500HP engine in the $10,000 range.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

All good responses.
If you are really into the Cleveland look, then you need the Australian heads that basicly have the 4 bbl. quench chamber and the smaller 2 bbl. intake port runners. Open chamber 2 bbl heads suck on a 302 as do poor velocity 4 bbl heads. Modern alum heads outflow any combination. The TFS Twisted Wedge heads or AFRs are the best IMO.

I suggest you look into the current ENGINE MASTERS magazine winter 2006 (sic) on the news-stands now for a 302 cube buildup that sports about 400 hp in a good streetable engine. (Winter 2006 ended LAST MARCH)
Old 11-11-2006, 04:03 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428

As an after note, Ford has just announced that they are re-releasing the Boss 302 as a crate engine. Based on their modern components. It was reported that a crate Boss 302 with 350HP wil sell for about $4650. They will be offering other versions up to a 331 inch 500HP engine in the $10,000 range.
Uh...Are you sure the new engine is not a Modular instead of a Ninety-Degree?

You are scaring me here lately. You change the filters in your respirator frequently?

Personally, I would prefer the CLV heads over the new ones (especially if I had a set lying around.. But that is just me). You can even mount EFI on them now...
Old 11-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

No Gary, I'm not referring to that danged overgrown motorcycle engine. They may have announced it at SEMA, but it came through on our Cobra forum earlier this week. It is based on the Boss 302 block they started offering last year and will have the 4 bolt block (improved) and will use some of the canted valve aluminum heads.The mid $4000 range for a 350 HP Boss 302 engine sounds pretty good to me, although the 500HP 331 at 10gs is a little pricey. They are supposed to be available the first part of 2007...... What's a respirator???
Old 11-12-2006, 01:34 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:

What's a respirator???
Old 11-12-2006, 01:53 AM

boss :|

hey guys thanx for the comments and yAlls help but i bought a brang new 347 stroker motor so i got that under way and im looking into super chargers now thanx for the comments :>
Old 11-12-2006, 01:54 AM

I would never advise building a 302 sized engine with 4V Cleveland heads for the STREET. I'm building a very low buck 331 Clevor myself that will use AU 302C 2V heads.

"If you like the angle valve heads some of the FRPP heads are based on that design, but are far superior."

FRPP?

On the bigger motors the CHIs (Clevors) are kicking tail at this years EMC.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...esults_friday/

There is a new Boss crate engine on the horizon. The block looks good but I haven't seen any evidence of canted valve heads on the crate motor. All I've seen is an overpriced Windsor headed version trying to pass itself off as a genuine Boss. It's criminal in my opinion.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/boss-...or-2007/112149
Old 11-12-2006, 06:33 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S

There is a new Boss crate engine on the horizon. The block looks good but I haven't seen any evidence of canted valve heads on the crate motor. All I've seen is an overpriced Windsor headed version trying to pass itself off as a genuine Boss. It's criminal in my opinion.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/boss-...or-2007/112149
It seems to be mainly a recast of the actual block. As for heads;

Quote:
Entry level engines feature the Ford Racing GT-40X Xtra Performance Turbo Swirl aluminum heads to retain stock exhaust locations and are rated at 340 and 345 hp. Higher performance versions include Ford Racing?s ?Z?-head equipped 302 and 347 cubic inch engines rated between 360 and 450 hp, depending on configuration.
It would cost FORD a fortune to retool and cast actual BOSS 302 cylinder heads and matching intake(s). I think the effort is to introduce a low-buck ($1759.00) strengthened block.

Upper BOSS 302 tech (along with CLV) is archaic to say the least. But one can be made to run and is a great conversation piece on SAT night.

To use the name BOSS 302 on this merchandising effort is in bad taste, but FORD is no longer FORD so you come to expect it.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Just a few clarifications, I know that some are already aware. The term CLEVOR was created to signify CLEVeland heads on a windsOR block, taking advantage of both strong suits at the time. Cleveland heads flowed well and windsor blocks had a far better oiling system. On the new "Boss 302" crate engine I thought they were using one of the canted valve designs that they already supply since it retains stock exhaust pattern. That engine at the engine masters link looks as if it has canted valve heads also. There was at one time, I don't know how many were made, a CLEVOR block that used a Windsor oiling system but was designed to be a direct bolt on for Cleveland heads. I have never seen any except in Magazines, so not sure how many were made before the influx of aftermarket heads made them obsolete. As Gary said, the Cleveland top end is archaic now days and unless you just want a neat conversation piece it is a waste of a lot of money( for the average guy with our machine shop access) to create something that could be ourpowered by most aftermarket Windsor heads. Now many of the FRPP( as well as whoever else offers Angle valve heads) angle valve heads are designe with a threaded hole and come with a plug so they can be used on both blocks with no maching required. Those are the heads I think will be used. It of course is a Tragedy that the term "BOSS 302" is used.... but better on that one than the Mod motor they sell as a 5.0.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:

Just a few clarifications, I know that some are already aware. The term CLEVOR was created to signify CLEVeland heads on a windsOR block, taking advantage of both strong suits at the time. Cleveland heads flowed well and windsor blocks had a far better oiling system.

There was at one time, I don't know how many were made, a CLEVOR block that used a Windsor oiling system but was designed to be a direct bolt on for Cleveland heads. I have never seen any except in Magazines, so not sure how many were made before the influx of aftermarket heads made them obsolete.
FORD MOTORSPORTS offered both a Windsor racing block and had special CLV style heads (and manifolds) to use in NASCAR and other forms of racing. YATES was one of the vendors. There were several series and I did not keep track as they were out of my price range...

It should also be mentioned that actual BOSS 302 cylinder heads are unique in that they can be bolted onto a NINETY-DEGREE (289/302) without machining (but must also have BOSS 302 intake) (will also fit 351W but no intake is available). The actual CLV heads (1970/ ) do require machining to go onto the afore mentioned blocks and require a unique aftermarket intake(s) or spacers. In addition, BOSS 302 heads also require machining to go onto the 351C block.

They (BOSS 302 and CLV) are actually two different systems. FORD borrowed the upcoming CLV design to graft onto the 302 for competition after the Tunnel Port 302's kept coming apart.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.