Homemade boxed control arms - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Fishing poles in the hot rod!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Homemade boxed control arms

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of ordering a kit to box my lower control arms on my 1970 Monte Carlo. The new pieces will have to be welded on and I am worried about warping the control arms. Do any welding gurus know how long or how many beads of weld to lay down to minimize warping? Are there any tricks that I should know about? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Minimize Warping

To minimize warping, I have a welding table with a set of 1/2" inch thick steel plates to which I clamp the work. Then, the trick is to begin the weld by tacking the boxing in place in many locations. Then, working around the job in different places extend the welds. How much of the seam to weld is subjective. Personally, I would weld at least 50 percent of the seam.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Fishing poles in the hot rod!

Last photo:

A lot of people have told me the seme thing about making a jig to hold the piece while I weld it. But I tried this several times on other projects and when I pull the part out of the jig it warps right up like it was never braced at all.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

I feel your pain. My experience is that the technique of moving around, welding a bit here then a bit there seems to minimize the problem of warpage. I would suspect that the u-channel type control arm wouldn't warp too badly. Might be a good idea to get a spare to try out technique on, though. Good luck.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.