Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Homemade dry Guidecoat anyone? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/homemade-dry-guidecoat-anyone-213486.html)

50bowTie 01-28-2012 06:30 PM

Homemade dry Guidecoat anyone?

Just wanted to share my new find with you all :)

I've started using dry guide coats here recently and found my new love :)

After buying 3m dry guide coat one time and having to listen to my wife about how overpriced it is, I got an idea... Why not just use artist's charcoal and grind it up to make my own? After comparing the cost of the two it is indeed much cheaper and works the exact same. (might even be the same!)

Local hobby lobby/art supply store has the Charcoal sticks. I use a pneumatic grinder with roloc disc to grind down the large thick sticks of artist charcoal into a fine powder, then store in tupperware container. I use a detailing applicator pad to apply it (just keep it in the container with the charcoal)

Hope you guys try it and save some cash! With the price of paint on the rise this is one way I've managed to save.

Good luck :thumbup:

TucsonJay 01-28-2012 07:17 PM

If it helps, I know you can buy charcoal powder in a can. I think sign shops have it for use in transferring patterns.

50bowTie 01-28-2012 07:20 PM

I'll have to check into that! I'm really not sure what the 3m stuff is but I know charcoal acts the same exact way. U can even wetsand it!

deadbodyman 01-29-2012 04:20 AM

OVERPRICED ????It's insane .....Thats why I never used it ....I've heard it's much better but until it blocks itself off too I wont be buying it ....you may have a great idea there....and possibly the best tip of this year :thumbup:

Irelands child 01-29-2012 05:50 AM

Just buy a can of Walmart's $1.99 black, cheap paint. You don't do a full rattle can paint job on a car when guide coating, just a light mist on the panel. That can will last a car or two (or three).

Here's an OK video

I have probably 1/2-3/4s of my can of SEM guide coat which according to the price tag was only about four bucks - and it did my entire '31

shine 01-29-2012 06:09 AM

i have used pounce bag powder for 40 years. black and white . i did buy some 3m just to see what it was. pretty much the same .

matts37chev 01-29-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child
Just buy a can of Walmart's $1.99 black, cheap paint. You don't do a full rattle can paint job on a car when guide coating, just a light mist on the panel. That can will last a car or two (or three).

this is how i was taught to do it

Old Fool 01-29-2012 09:58 AM

Try putting the charcoal sticks into a clean coffe bean grinder, instant dust .

ogre 01-29-2012 10:11 AM

i'm with ic and matt, we just use any cheap paint/primer.
especially good for using up those spray cans that won't spray right... :D:D:D

deadbodyman 01-29-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Fool
Try putting the charcoal sticks into a clean coffe bean grinder, instant dust .

They have one at the super market...... :mwink: :mwink:

matts37chev 01-29-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
They have one at the super market...... :mwink: :mwink:

so buy the charcoal at fredmeyer or wal-mart, or one of those "one stop shops"
get in the art dept, walk over to the grocery/coffee aisle and grind it right there, before you leave the store?!?!?

you are brilliant, thats really thinking ahead :thumbup:

50bowTie 01-29-2012 03:05 PM

I've had trouble in the past with some types of rattle can black clogging my paper. With charcoal you can really see sand scratches not just low spots and you don't have to wait for it to dry

matts37chev 01-29-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
this is how i was taught to do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50bowTie
I've had trouble in the past with some types of rattle can black clogging my paper. With charcoal you can really see sand scratches not just low spots and you don't have to wait for it to dry

I guess when I think about it, I was actually shown to just use a different color primer (not black paint)

Old Fool 01-29-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts37chev
so buy the charcoal at fredmeyer or wal-mart, or one of those "one stop shops"
get in the art dept, walk over to the grocery/coffee aisle and grind it right there, before you leave the store?!?!?

you are brilliant, thats really thinking ahead :thumbup:

You could sure to that, might give a nice caffeine hit to help blocking !

Or get one like this and put it out in your shophttp://common1.csnimages.com/lf/47/h...r+in+Black.jpg

inkfreak1976 01-30-2012 11:38 PM

this is a great find, I hate useing rattle can for guide coat. recently instead of paint if been useing rattle can primer. because its easy sand doesnt clog up the paper. and ive been trying to figure something out that would work like the powder coat. thanks for the tips, and the coffee grinder thing is brilliant the old lady has been wanting a new one any how.