Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Homemade fiberglass molds?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkat
Years ago JC Whitney used to sell 1940 Ford sedan style replacement hoods for VW Bugs. They looked very cool but they are no longer available, and no one else seems to make them.

I was thinking about trying to make one from fiberglass as I have at least some little experience with using it, but the problem is that there is, of course, no OEM type hood to use as a mold. I understand that some folks have made custom parts by making a mold from wood and chicken wire. I would probably try to build it up on the existing VW hood (as I doubt the part would add much weight), or maybe I could cut out the center once the part is attached.

My main concern is in actually making the mold. And are there any websites about making such custom molds, or has anyone here done something similar? Also, does fiberglass resin stick to bare metal? Any advice at all would be appreciated! Thanks!
Not to get too far off topic, I used to think it would be cool to make front hoods for semi trucks like 40 ford's anf 54-57 chevy's. and now they do.
Look at the new International's, WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	International-trucks-Lonestar-silver.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	52477