Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Homemade fiberglass molds?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkat
Years ago JC Whitney used to sell 1940 Ford sedan style replacement hoods for VW Bugs. They looked very cool but they are no longer available, and no one else seems to make them.

I was thinking about trying to make one from fiberglass as I have at least some little experience with using it, but the problem is that there is, of course, no OEM type hood to use as a mold. I understand that some folks have made custom parts by making a mold from wood and chicken wire. I would probably try to build it up on the existing VW hood (as I doubt the part would add much weight), or maybe I could cut out the center once the part is attached.

My main concern is in actually making the mold. And are there any websites about making such custom molds, or has anyone here done something similar? Also, does fiberglass resin stick to bare metal? Any advice at all would be appreciated! Thanks!
You need mold release wax first.There are many ways to do it but I would use foam blocks glued to your hood because it is easy to shape. You then cover it with filler and sand to get a good solid and smooth finish. Then spray a good primer on and wax several coats.Then spray or brush your gel coat on.When this cures you can lay up your mold.When it cures pull it off and repeat process to build part,I.E. wax,gel coat and lay up.Hope this helps but the books suggested might be better depending on your level of knowledge.