Homemade Fresh Air System - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 06:00 AM
cap'n crunch

Last journal entry: Project Monte
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Homemade Fresh Air System

Hi folks just wondering about making a fresh air system.I was looking at one on the internet and I have the stuff to do it with I think. I have a small compressor I bought for my airbrush I can use,what I need to know is can a full face resparator be made into a air mask and what kind of filter system for the compressor would I need Thanks in advance...Randy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Last photo:

You must be careful when using breathing air supplied from a compressor. Compressor air must be monitored for carbon monoxide levels. Seems the compressor gets so hot that the lubrication oil actually burns off the cylinder walls of the compressor which generates carbon monoxide. Of course if it is a diaphragm compressor like for an airbrush you do not have that problem, but my concern would be with the ability of the smaller compressor to deliver the air required for a full face respirator. That compressor must be located outside the paint room environment.

As far as filtering, just about any filter will suffice. I would think the pancake filter made by Motorgard that is used for spray guns would work fine.

Vince
Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Well..

A full face can be used as a fresh air system, if you have the right mask. I am in the military and our full face respirators have a little piece in the front that unscrews and allows a breathing tube to be inserted to provide fresh air. IMO, I would just buy a hooded face mask, unless your full face can be used like the ones we use.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

If you do this, and I strongly suggest you don't, make sure the mask is vented enough so that the pressure does not build up over a couple of PSI or you could do some harm. I don't think an air brush compressor will supply enough volume for breathing. The trick (and draw back to this) is to have a CLEAN air supply of sufficient volume and be regulated so that the pressure will not exceed safe levels yet will not fall below a positive pressure when you inhale, this can be critical since if the pressure gets too high you may damage your lungs and if it falls too low when you inhale you will breath in unfiltered air. This may not be so easy to design and should be left to an engineered set-up as your very life may depend on how well it is designed. You will hear lots of suggestions from people who have made their own and I have seen some of these set-ups myself over the years most of which I would not use under any but emergency circumstances. I have worked with compressed air for many years and it amazes me how many people have no idea just how dangerous it can be and some of the breathing rigs I have seen are just unbelievably dangerous. When you consider how inexpensive one of the well designed hobby air type units is, especially when you subtract what you would spend on building your own, does it really make sense to take what could be a health or life threatening chance just to save a very few dollars?

Here is one example and they can be found even cheaper
http://clmcenterprises.com/hobbyair.htm

Last edited by oldred; 07-09-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would certainly listen to Oldred on this..I can think of some ways to do it but I am not going to be responsible if some guy builds his own and hurts himself..

Sam
Old 07-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

I'm thinking that one of those little electric blowers, like the ones that they sell to inflate air matresses, would be perferct for this. There's no oil (it's basically a fan) and we're not talking about a lot of positive pressure.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Mauss, It don't have a lot of pressure but it also don't have any volume to speak of either, it might be enough but I doubt it. This only serves to make my point, that is when considering something that your health and possibly your very life may depend on there is no room for maybe. Do you really want to guess whether something is adequate or not? You must remember that the hazards of ISOs is all too real and that stuff plays for keeps! I really would not want to be in a paint booth filled with ISOs and think my well being depended on a $10 dollar Wal-Mart pump made in China.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I found that if the hose is big enough than it's possible to draw freash air through without a pump. A converted half mask has the valves that only allow new air in and exhaust the bad,
RV camper type drain hose is what is flexable enough and in this picture shows the other end attached to a air conditioner as a bonus but is not needed to work...
You can get the 3 inch hose from a camper supply etc...

True it seems a bit bulky at first but after you get used to it ..nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freashair.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	13263  

Last edited by milo; 07-09-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:40 PM

I bought a fresh air hood for $60 and use an old GM smog pump and garden hose, DougMN
Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

Personally I agree with oldred I wouldn't be screwing around with it .What are your lungs and your health worth ? If you screwed them up would you pay say $1000 to get your lungs fixed?Seems pretty cheap for a set of good lungs.......but guess what it isn't going to happen!Spend the money for the correct safety gear .We all like to be able to say I made my own or solved a problem that's what hotrodders and gearheads do and we are proud of it. How many times have you done something that was supose to be real simple and it took you 4-5 times to get it right ? There is no room for error with you health ! You have to be real careful somethings are not worth it .We all want to be able to enjoy our projects when we are done .
Old 07-10-2006, 05:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Home made - WHY !!!

I looked at making my own using an air mattress pump or two, but by the time I figured a hose, some sort of inlet filter, a hood a few fittings, a few gallons of gas running around, plus the time to do it, I might as well order a Hobby Aire from autobodystore.com. The total, including shipping was $404.69 and was in my shop in less than a week - the vendor was out of stock or it would have been quicker (NJ to Upstate NY is overnight).

I didn't buy replacement shield lenses but were included anyhow - Saran Wrap would have worked for a one-off job (did I hear someone call me cheap - I'm only half Irish - the other half is Scottish !!!)

EBay has not auctioned lungs recently, and I am evidently sensitized to solvents , so it makes for a wise investment. This is planned to be my last paint job for a long while so I expect to put it on eBay eventually as long as I keep it in good shape and hope I will recover most of my short term investment.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

what about ducting an electric leaf blower into a mask? I wouldn't make my own that runs on a regular compressor, I would use a fresh air hood with a hose that runs outside before I did that.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:23 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Threads like this one just amaze me. The same guys that are willing to spend thousands on their cars, want to cut corners on their health.

Unless you are building it for your survivors to enjoy, spend the money to get the right equipment. Then you can enjoy the project when it's done.

Aaron
Old 07-10-2006, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Memorable last words,-- this should work ok!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Phew
$404 for a Hobby-Aire vs. a set of donor lungs !!!!!
(Even less for a Neoterik)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.