Hot Rod Forum banner

HOMEMADE NITROUS SYSTEM

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  woodz428 
#1 ·
i was wondering if it was possible to use a welding bottle for nitrous and use edelbrock's perfomer rpm nitrous upgrade kit and buy some nitrous line and hook it up to my car can it be done thanks jj

#7 ·
Well if you are going to do that you would have to have the bottol inverted so that you are pushing liquid no2 into the lines, there is a sipon tube that is located inside of the nos bottle that picks up the liquid. to answer the question from 5.0 the jets would regulate the pressure. From a cost stand point you would only be saving about 125.00 and it would'nt look as good as the bright blue bottle. Man when you purchase a kit you are not only buying product but you are getting the knowledge that the company has put behind it. Man i would hate to see the bill for filling a big tank!!!! around here it is about 3 to 4 dollars a pound. Hey have you been to the track latley? I plan on going out there in a few weeks myself. I just installed my juice kit in my car. I paid about 475.00 for the whole set up. If you want i can fax you a copy of the instructions with a parts list so If you want to build yourself one It gives you some direction!!! Joel

#8 ·
how about a bottle of that hot mapp gas for the propane torch you know, the yellow bottle that has the oxygen and acetelyne mixed.well get a piece of copper tubing and a shut off valve so you adapt an old torch tip and canniblize the attachment and hook it to the line and to the carb. where the hell is ****** when you need him....then get rollin and let her rip, go or blow.!!!!! p.s. if anyone is really stupid enough to try this,(lawnmower?) please let me know ... mikey :D

#11 ·
Most N2O systems are designed to work with tank pressures of 600-800 psi, which is the approximate pressure of a normal bottle at room temperature (approximately 72 degrees). <hr></blockquote>

From this <a href="http://www.dynopower.freeserve.co.uk/nitrous_oxide/faq_technical.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>.

All you really need is the correct fitting to adapt an oxygen cylinder to Nitrous oxide use, hospitals are full of them. How do you think they ship nitrous oxide to hospitals in bulk? You know how much that bottle weighs? You really want to strap another 250pds+ in your trunk? Are you crazy? Are you hopping up a big rig?

They make smaller 10 pounders that work just fine too. I actually think getting one of these refilled is easier since some of the suppliers don't like to fill the race type bottles since they are so fragile.

Go for it, but get it certified first and painted the right color or no one will fill it. ;)

#13 ·
I remember when nitrous was being experimented with in the late sixties and it melted more than a few sets of pistons. Because the properties of nitrous release oxygen (thereby creating a lean condition) if you don't have enough fuel injected at the same time you'll probably spend more on the damage than if you had purchased a system that was already engineered.

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: woodz428 ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.