Homemade turbo for a VW Beetle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Homemade turbo for a VW Beetle?

My '71 has the 1600 engine. Has anyone done this, and what did you do? Or are there any websites specific to doing this? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Hi,

A long time ago, a guy I worked with in a shop had a turbo bug. Check out Hugh MacInnes Turbochargers (HP Books #49). It actually has pictures of old kits to get a good idea.

The mechanic that built it was always working on it. As I recall, it was a draw through with a Weber 45DCOE. The issues were- heat, oil return, and exhaust plumbing that was constantly leaking or over heating.

If you're going to try it, go low boost, check the rotating assembly carefully and make it robust, and get an auxillary oil cooling system. The bugs hate oil anyway, with a turbo it will be only worse, with foaming and heat breakdown.

Good luck!

Matt
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

As noted go with a cooler and an accusump, it REALLY makes a difference. I prefer blow through style to draw through, but as long as you set up the carb and turbo correctly either can work- intercooling is easier on blow through though.

Depending on your intended power levels I would go with a TD04 or TD05 style of turbo, a large TD05 can take you up to 500hp, but I don't think you want to go that big. A small 16G with a 6 or 7 cm turbine housing would probably be about right, it would have some lag on an engine that small, but not much and can support 300hp. For a turbo header you can basically modify a stinger exhaust.

You'll also need a good electric fuel pump, some sort of wastegate (internal would be fine for this IMO), intercooler or water injection, and PROPERLY MODIFIED fuel system.

If you're good at fabrication you could probably build a decent system along the lines of what I outlined for a little under a grand.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

Haven't done this, but I thought about getting an old bug to hotrod. You should check out "Hot VW's" magazine. maybe they have a website too. About a year ago they had an awesome turbo bug. The turbo was mounted where the muffler usually goes and the guy hid the intercooler so it looked stock. I've seen some where it's mounted up high and then you have no engine cover or it has to be raised or modified.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.