Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hommade A frame gantry crane. supplies?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

hommade A frame gantry crane. supplies?

I know there is 1 in the hommade tools thread but I can't find it.

I'm going to build 1 to use a 2 ton chain hoist on casters for mobility. but it has to fit in an 8' garage, and only needs to be as wide as a basic car. 6' would probably be plenty of room.. Just getting hung up on the design and building materials.. I like metal, and I like 2x3 rectangle tubing, but I think 2x3 may be overkill.. I also want some of it to un bolt for storage and transport but I don't want to loose strength by using bolts.. as far as using a push trolly. I think that would be overkill for my purpose ( dropping cab on frame/ positioning engine/trans and various lawn mower work ) and I think a heavy chain wrapped around the top bar linked togther will give a moveable place for the hoist to get hung.. I want this to have the ability to support 2.5- 3 tons. it will never get used for that, but if I overbuild for the strength, then my uses will never be a problem with safety.. Heaviest this will support will be a 460 Ford w/ C6

Then as far as the hoist. What brand? I looked on Ebay and Amazon and no matter the brand 1 and 2 ton hoists look identical. probably from China. and I can't find any that say from USA.. But prices range from $20-$40, but HF has an 8 ton for like $80 that I might feel better with, altho that's probably a lot slower