Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hommade A frame gantry crane. supplies?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Might have to go hydraulic.. I forgot about the 2-3' of chain that is left on the lift side of the hoist at max lift..

How about both hydraulic and mechanical chain hoist?... If I do this as a T design of a very large basic engine hoist. couldn't I make the main post a slide type design, with a hydraulic cylinder on the side to raise and lower the post itself. then hang the chain hoist off the end for fine tuning? really, I have 8' clearence to the garage door mechanisms. the actual celing is about 9'.. this way I could hook onto what I need to, even if the chain hoist is slacked at max lift. pump up the hydraulic cylinder up and raise it up to whatever I need and then drop it down with the chain hoist wherever it needs to go.. for higher lifting I could just use the hydraulic cylinder and unhook the chain hoist.. I do think the main post would need a few spots drilled for a safety pin/ bolt... It would be nice if this could do an engine swap. but if it couldn't. I do have a 2 ton engine crane.. I more or less want somthing to move a body around with easilly and raise/ lower it onto the frame.