Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hommade A frame gantry crane. supplies?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

gantry crane

I've built a couple of heavy swing sets for my kids over the years, 2 inch surplus pipe for the legs and the top beam was a truss, upside down V with straight bottom pipe and braces,the legs telescope into 1 ft pieces of 2 1/2 pipe, then holes drilled to bolt together. One set was from a school that closed down. surplus sale CHEAP , I ve changed a lot of engines and a couple of bodies lifted off with them. . the latest one has a 4 in I beam with 2 trollies from a closed down Ford factory. pennies per pound for the steel The 2 trollies make it nice to have 2 chain hoists that are easy to move. . For the legs I used the V from the front of portable (trailer) classrooms/, A piece of 4 x 6,, 1/4 wall surplus tube for the upright to the I beam. , It has military surplus double castors at each corner wheel, wheel brakes and locks. I have 16 ft walls in the shop and it is tall enough to get the backhoe under and wide enough to fit the 6 wheel equipment trailer underneath, The harbor freight one looks doable for using in a house garage, and it telescopes up. probably cheaper than paying retail for the steel and welding rod.

Last edited by timothale; 04-26-2011 at 04:00 PM.