Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hommade A frame gantry crane. supplies?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Just as a suggestion - don't over think this. The engine went in with a case strength chain wrapped around the house I-beam and a 2T chainfall and in a less then 7 foot clearance in my basement garage. As the span was a bit more then I preferred, I used a couple of the long construction jacks I own, but could have used common lolly columns or even a couple 2x4's screwed together and wedged in place. The body (even the heavy four door I started with before the roadster) was on and off several times in the same area using a beam connected to the I-beam and made from two 2x6x10 foot long screwed together. Then the final assembly was done in my normal 2 car garage with a 9 foot ceiling. I spread the weight over several floor joists with a couple lengths of 4"x4"x4', dropped a chain down then used two 2T chain falls. That upper floor is well supported by lolly columns and a beam. Unfortunately, I don't have many photos of this operation, but this below is the body, suspended from the two 2T chain falls. As far as my cost - probably less then $25 as most of what I used, I already had

Even a 460 wouldn't "kill" my arrangement or me

Dave W
Nice setup. I don't have access to the rafters tho.. There are a couple ropes tied into some beams for lifting, but all in the wrong spots