honda rod power limit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 AM

Last journal entry: Starting the build, 333ci chev, 195 cc jegs heads
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

honda rod power limit

I have a small journal 327 crank that has been ground down to accept a forged steel 6 inch corrillo honda rod (they already been magnafluxed). I will be using forged custom ross pistons. I am curious what kind of power can that crank hold up to now that it has been turned down. I don't remember the numbers on the damn crank and my builder is heck to get a hold of. He is always super busy. I have to show up to really get any info or updates so- numbers on the crank, don't know, don't care.
I will say I know its forged from the factory, also the stroke has been modified. I think (if i remember right) its now a 3.31 stroke- I will have to ask again. I am highly comparing what the dyno will say compared to dyno2000 so I have been trying to keep up on what is going on with this particular motor. If you guys no me, you know I like to make little motors spin.

i did a search and a quite form oldboggie was "The down side is the loading per unit area goes up so the oil wedge is worked harder. The line between finishing and blowing up gets tighter.?"

this may appear to be a stupid question but please bare with me, oil wedge? btw there is a hole through the corrillo rods that appears to have been milled from the factory that way to allow oil to flow through it to both bearings (big and small end). So i can't imagine that being an issue. Am i wrong?

Any history to using honda rods in SBCs?

Any info on this swap would be lovely.

Last edited by blight; 03-15-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 06:18 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

I have built quite a few Circle track engines 3.48 and 3.5 strokes using 4340 cranks, I have one 1182 done by Home has worked out fine.

If your crank was not ground with an 1/8 radius I would probably not use it.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE View Post

If your crank was not ground with an 1/8 radius I would probably not use it.
why, could you explain further? I am using the services of travis knowlton of Knowlton Thunderheads in bethel mn. He came first in the outlaw class at BIR last summer. He doesn't turn the cranks himself, although i doubt he would use someone that would do it improperly.

Mine is a factory forged crank so the material it is made of I am not possitive. 4340, 314, a36, 316, 440c, etc?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

327 should be 3.25 " stroke. A 318/340 has the 3.31.

I know what it takes to bend a Honda rod. You just need to be dumb enough to spray a non combustible , non compressible liquid into the chamber.

Like my computer? Yes that is it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00044.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	72299  

Last edited by spinn; 03-15-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
327 should be 3.25 " stroke. A 318/340 has the 3.31.

I know what it takes to bend a Honda rod.
...its been reground to a different stroke, yes, it did start as a 3.25. I used to run honda motors for rally racing, i still own a b16a (sir2 motor) in my em1. I have beat the **** out of that motor for 160 thousand miles thus far. water pump, alternator and valve cover gasket are the only issues that motor and accessories have had. There was a point where I held the motor at 8400 for 5 min just to see what it would do, i also had a b20v just chilling next to the car too. Nothing wrong, no mpg decrease after the fact. It still gets the same mpg as it does 160k ago. Wear should change that, in particular after the abuse i have put it through. I am anal about oil changes in all my motors perhaps that has something to do with it. Either way, the b16a is an all motor honda motor, so it has been tweaked. There is very little I can do to gain more power from an sir2 motor. More over its freeing up the power that was already there.

Regardless of answering that, that wasn't my question.

I take it you are referring to nitrous, I have seen plenty of honda motors run nitrous at rock falls wisconson on factory pistons/rods. 75-125 shot. I don't think it would be wise to use more than that. I have been told to never use more than 1/4 of what the motor makes naturally, power wise.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blight View Post
...its been reground to a different stroke,

I take it you are referring to nitrous,.
That is awesome.

Nitrous oxide is compressible.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Old & Furious

An easy way to compare is use piston speed and weight of the new pistons compared to the honda pistons you do have specs for.

If the weight and piston speed are the same you should be able to use the original specs for the rod.

HP is no big deal. Its the rpm that lead to higher piston speeds that pull the rods apart and push hard enough to push the oil out of the bearings. Now as for oil increasing oil pressure can make the bearing take more load. but does nothing for more load at higher wieght or piston speed.

Also check the specs for strech. If it streches even if it does not break it can let the piston hit the valves or cylinder head at max rpm. Honda use pentroof heads that give more clearence at higher cr ratios. chevys will have a flat squish area behind the valves that can allow the piston to make contact. Where in a honda motor the squish is uniform and allows a little more breathing room.

as far as hp goes with a perfectly tunned engine not having any problems. An stock chevy 350 bottom end with cast everything will make 500 hp for some time. With low boost and smooth cam it will make that power a long time before it blows. But one knock one will scatter the block.

About 800 hp the stock chevy small block will start to come apart. making the roating assembly worthless.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blight View Post
why, could you explain further? I am using the services of travis knowlton of Knowlton Thunderheads in bethel mn. He came first in the outlaw class at BIR last summer. He doesn't turn the cranks himself, although i doubt he would use someone that would do it improperly.

Mine is a factory forged crank so the material it is made of I am not possitive. 4340, 314, a36, 316, 440c, etc?
Those GM forgings are a 1038 forging not the best material but you should have an 1/8 inch radius for strenth or it might be a waste of time.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
That is awesome.

Nitrous oxide is compressible.
indeed.

------
"An easy way to compare is use piston speed and weight of the new pistons compared to the honda pistons you do have specs for.

If the weight and piston speed are the same you should be able to use the original specs for the rod.

HP is no big deal. Its the rpm that lead to higher piston speeds that pull the rods apart and push hard enough to push the oil out of the bearings. Now as for oil increasing oil pressure can make the bearing take more load. but does nothing for more load at higher wieght or piston speed.

Also check the specs for strech. If it streches even if it does not break it can let the piston hit the valves or cylinder head at max rpm. Honda use pentroof heads that give more clearence at higher cr ratios. chevys will have a flat squish area behind the valves that can allow the piston to make contact. Where in a honda motor the squish is uniform and allows a little more breathing room.

as far as hp goes with a perfectly tunned engine not having any problems. An stock chevy 350 bottom end with cast everything will make 500 hp for some time. With low boost and smooth cam it will make that power a long time before it blows. But one knock one will scatter the block.

About 800 hp the stock chevy small block will start to come apart. making the roating assembly worthless. "

I don't want anything more than 600hp out of this devil. we will see how far we can push it. I doubt I will see more than 500na. i have considered running 100 shot. although with 10.5:1 compression I am not sure what fuel to use. alum heads btw.

I am not worried about the pentroof design etc thats what custom pistons are for. also I don't plan on spinning this motor past 7800. I am going to set the fuel cut off right there. max hp should be no higher than 7500.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

so what is the history to having honda rods in the sbc?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.