Honeywell Air compressor?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Honeywell Air compressor??

I'm looking at (on the internet and emailing the owner) what the seller says is a Honeywell air compressor. I can't find much info on such. Says it's probably a 100 gal horizontal tank with two single stage 110 volt motors and pumps. Says it runs good and quiet and would handle my sandblasting needs. (I just burnt up a small 5 HP sears unit by getting impatient and not waiting for it to cool down).

Anybody familiar with Honeywells and what do you think about the 110 v motors. Here's some photos.
BTW this is my first visit and post and I gotta tell ya this site is awesome. I'll be tellin ya more about my self and my Buicks later. Thanks in advance for any help.
Lamar in Athens, Georgia

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

Not that it matters much to the performance but that tank does not look to be 100 gal, that is good in this case since the CFM output would be much too small for a tank that big. Not much info to go on here except that because these are 110 volt motors they are going to be very limited as to power output and unless they are wired up on two separate circuits and breakers they are going to VERY limited as to power for each one since you can only draw a certain amount of power on a 110 volt circuit. Basically what you have here is two small 110 volt compressors it is just that they share one tank and will perform no better than two completely separate units hooked together,in short having two 110 volt motors makes little sense and will be a PITA to operate. The CFM output can not possibly be any more than two small 110 volt compressors if the motors are on two circuits and if it is wired up to only one circuit, which it probably is, then it is going to have a very low CFM rating due to the limited amount of power available. From what I see here this thing will not be capable of doing any serious sandblasting or little else other than what might be expected from any other 110 volt powered compressor. To produce the volume needed for sandblasting (or most anything else for body work) you will need to look to a 220 volt compressor, preferably a two stage, in order to have enough power available to run a pump big enough to handle blasting.

Welcome to the site and if you do a search on "compressor" you will find a ton of info here
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I'd ask for a closer pic of that air compressor. I'm not even sure Honeywell makes air compressors. At least not what I am aware of. And I work at a Honeywell plant. We did have one very similiar that we recently got rid of but I think it was a "Joy" compressor. Joy is the brand name. If it is still skidded I will look tomorrow and see what type it is.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys,
getting info from this guy has not been easy. I kept asking for the info from the MOTOR plate as I thought it would tell me what I need to know about the capacity. He sent these pics and when I asked one more time for the motor plate picture he told me he was tired of my crap and that I was just kickin tires!!! So I'll be putting that $500 with a couple more and buying an Ingersol Rand or Bellaire maybe.
Kevin thought you may be interested in these "Honeywell" tag shots. I'd still be interested in any info these pics might give. and hey can anyone read the info on the motor plates?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

As I said earlier that thing is just two 110 volt compressors mounted on one tank and if the main power cord is indeed connected to 110 you would need a special high current circuit with very heavy wire in order to make any reasonable amount of power from the motors. If it simply plugs into a 110 volt outlet then it would have two very under powered motors driving two single stage pumps, either way the CFM rating is going to be quite low. It does seem to be very well built and really heavy duty but that would mean little if it will not produce enough volume to do what you need it to do and I seriously doubt that this one would. I am always a bit hesitant to tell someone to pass up something that I have not looked at first hand but since you apparently are not going to buy this thing now I can say that I think you made a wise choice! Since you intend to do sandblasting then you need to get as much CFM as you can since this is by far the most important factor to consider for the type of work you mention.

Just a note on the CFM ratings, make sure you are looking at SCFM and not that phony "tank assisted CFM" that some companies are resorting to these days. This is nothing more than a sales gimmick and a scam which will tell you absolutely nothing about the compressors performance! You mentioned Ingersoll so be aware that some outfits, like Northern Tool for example, are selling one model ( a 5 HP single stage unit with a 60 gallon tank ) that is rated at 18+ CFM at 90 PSI which is pure nonsense and is in all probability closer to about 13-14 CFM which is a substantial difference. The small compressor market is full of scams and gimmicks so it can be difficult to sort out who is telling the truth and who is trying to make you believe you are getting more than you really are so be careful when looking at compressor data and check it out good before laying down your hard earned money.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Look up Quincy compressors instead of Honeywell and you will probably find more info
Old 06-08-2006, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Well, seems the seller had had a bad day, apologized and sent these, said he'd throw in another motor all for $450. Motors are a little small aren't they? But it does appear they could be ran off of 230 volts, right? Still think a new one would be my best bet don't y'all.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

That Dayton, although a very good well built motor, is only about 2 HP and I sincerely hope that Emerson 3/4 HP is the extra motor he offered since if those pumps are small enough to run off 3/4 HP that thing would only be good for pumping up tires. Even if both pumps are using identical 2 HP motors you are still talking only 4 HP with single stage pumps so you can count on only about 10 CFM probably even less. Notice that Dayton is 21 AMPs on 115? If you tried to run both on one circuit you would need a 115 volt circuit set up for over 40 AMPs! Never mind the huge wire size that you would need but of course this thing will run off 240 so that would make it practical, he should have never called it a 110 set-up in the first place. IMO that thing is not worth any where near 450$ and in fact not even half of that. Basically it would seem this outfit is next to worthless.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That Dayton, although a very good well built motor, is only about 2 HP and I sincerely hope that Emerson 3/4 HP is the extra motor he offered since if those pumps are small enough to run off 3/4 HP that thing would only be good for pumping up tires. Even if both pumps are using identical 2 HP motors you are still talking only 4 HP with single stage pumps so you can count on only about 10 CFM probably even less. Notice that Dayton is 21 AMPs on 115? If you tried to run both on one circuit you would need a 115 volt circuit set up for over 40 AMPs! Never mind the huge wire size that you would need but of course this thing will run off 240 so that would make it practical, he should have never called it a 110 set-up in the first place. IMO that thing is not worth any where near 450$ and in fact not even half of that. Basically it would seem this outfit is next to worthless.
OldRed, come on, quit holdin back, tell me what you really think it's worth!!!
Yea, my thoughts exactly. Now I think I know why he held off sendin the motor plate pictures til last. Man, I'm glad I didn't drive 3 hours to look at that thing. Thanks everybody for your input. It was interesting at least eh??
Old 06-08-2006, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

For $450 you could run over to Harbor Freight and get a NEW 220 volt single stage compressor that in all probability would out perform that thing in every respect and probably last longer too since that one is obviously an oddball. Some of those cheap compressors like the US General sold by HF seem to hold up pretty good and although they tend to inflate the ratings a bit they do perform very good for the money. I looked at one two stage model US General that seemed to be fairly well built, from appearance anyway, that had a US made Baldor motor on it. If you are not familiar with Baldor they are one of the highest quality motors built. Not trying to pitch for the HF compressors it is just that it seems to me to be a far better idea to look at one of the econo model compressors in that price range from HF, Northern tool, Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply or Sears before dropping $450 on something as questionable as that one.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.