hood adjustment help!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

hood adjustment help!!!

I just put a new 4" cowl fiberglass hood on my 85 elco ss and the hood sticks up higher than the fender by about 1/2" on the driver side and about 1/4" on the other but it is flush on the front. Any help would be appriciated the hood is from harwood it was 640 dollars and I am ticked it won't line up!!! By the way I have no body work experience what so ever. thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Have you contacted Harwood? They make pretty good replacement parts but fiberglass doesn't always line up perfectly. Once it takes a set then thats pretty much where it's going to be. You can't bend it and you can't grind it down that much, and you shouldn't have to for $640. Theres alway some fitment issues with any replacement part, I would definately call them before you touch it, take some pic's and email them back to Harwood, see if they can replace it or offer a suggestion.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Can't picture the hinges on that vehicle right now, and don't see any photos posted, so just guessing, but likely a hinge adjustment may take care of it.

Aaron
Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

I have never installed one on an elco but I did put one on a 76 Camaro about 25 years ago. A die grinder was needed to to enlarge the holes on the hinges to get more adjustment. You also had to make the holes bigger to bolt the hinges to the hood as the bolts that came with it would not fit through the hinges. I also learned the hard way that aftermarket springs were needed to keep the hood from warping because of the increased pressure from the OE springs.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead454
I just put a new 4" cowl fiberglass hood on my 85 elco ss and the hood sticks up higher than the fender by about 1/2" on the driver side and about 1/4" on the other but it is flush on the front. Any help would be appriciated the hood is from harwood it was 640 dollars and I am ticked it won't line up!!! By the way I have no body work experience what so ever. thanks in advance
I'm not familiar with that year Elky, but if your hinges are bolted onto the firewall/vehicle, loosen them up a bit, yet remain a little snug. Shut the hood, and gently press down the areas that are high, a little at a time while alternating sides. When you're satisfied with the fit, open the hood and snug up the bolts. Recheck, and repeat if necessary. A friend just installed a 4" Harwood on his mid-80's Camaro, it fit just fine after a similar adjustment. Let us know how you make out.

Antny
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
I'm not familiar with that year Elky, but if your hinges are bolted onto the firewall/vehicle, loosen them up a bit, yet remain a little snug. Shut the hood, and gently press down the areas that are high, a little at a time while alternating sides. When you're satisfied with the fit, open the hood and snug up the bolts. Recheck, and repeat if necessary. A friend just installed a 4" Harwood on his mid-80's Camaro, it fit just fine after a similar adjustment. Let us know how you make out.

Antny

Thanks for all your help I will give that a try. Thankyou
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

There are two bolts that hold the hinge to the fender on each side. loosen these, and have a helper push the front of the hood up until the hinges rock backward as far as they can. Tighten the bolts. If the hinges are not worn out, and the hood is correctly shaped (two big ifs), the hood should now be lower than the fenders at the rear corners. Adjust back up as necessary.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.