Hood Color Match opinion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hood Color Match opinion

One day paint did a " Match" for a hood of mine. What do you think
The left part is what I supplied them to match, the center is what they came up with, and the right is the car
Looks F*&^%^ to me BBB

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
That doesn't even look like a blendable match. Kinda hard to tell with the one of the left at an angle. It's also hard to tell just staring at it in one angle as the photo gives us. But that being said, it looks pretty bad.

Brian
Old 01-18-2014, 04:43 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Did you try playing with some test cards? You can take the same can of paint and end up with about 3-4 different shades just by how you thin it or spray it. Also found you can brighten high metalics just by doing a nice wet clear coat. Spi is bad for this when your trying to match and older factory color as it goes on so nice and wet and glossy. It makes to color pop so much more than factory clear coat.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm having a little trouble decyphering this post but what I'm getting is you bought the paint and painted it yourself? The color is off so your blaming the guys that mixed it? Well,
The brand has a lot to do with it too...when most guys go to the paint store they never ask how will it match they always ask how much/ they start off wanting the (good stuff) and once they pick themselves up off the floor after hearing the price they want something cheaper,and then cheaper still..usually they end up taking home some of the lowest quality paint ,thinking paint is paint...
usually this is how it ends up...
doing your own paint work is great ,even easy when you dont know anything about it but solving problems like this is what a painter does...so what I say is it looks pretty good......for amiture work....... and if you wanted it to look like a pro did it you should have gotten a pro to do it...what did you expect dont blame the cheap paint or the guys that mixed it and since you did it yourself you cant even blame the painter...So whos fault is it????
Painting is always EZ until theres a problem and it almost always goes back to the applicator or the person that bought the paint (owner)......
I get people coming to the shop saying look how bad this paint job is ,that Maaco does crap work ,I turn around and say it looks pretty good to me......I cant paint a car at all for 300.00 even if the paint was free.....
The first thing you should have done is look at the color when you opened the can and compared it to the car or better yet bring the car to the paint store and have them tint it ot( best possible match) before you buy it...

second...even a very close match is never a perfect match due to fading ,washing and a few other things so no painter in his right mind would ever paint without blending (with a few exceptions) ...or.unless they dont care if it matches or not..
So.learn how to blend, start with a closer mix and never paint if you think the color is off...once you paint it you own it ,its got your name on it...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-19-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

no match paint

did they use a paint reader ??? they come in different brands/names.. but u just put it on the part u want to match and press the button.. comes up with a code they can use..
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill View Post
did they use a paint reader ??? they come in different brands/names.. but u just put it on the part u want to match and press the button.. comes up with a code they can use..
And those are a serious hit and miss. I have personally used one, it was all over the place. One time amazing match, next time a solid color when the car is metallic!

Brian
Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I'm having a little trouble decyphering this post but what I'm getting is you bought the paint and painted it yourself? The color is off so your blaming the guys that mixed it? Well,
The brand has a lot to do with it too...when most guys go to the paint store they never ask how will it match they always ask how much/ they start off wanting the (good stuff) and once they pick themselves up off the floor after hearing the price they want something cheaper,and then cheaper still..usually they end up taking home some of the lowest quality paint ,thinking paint is paint...
usually this is how it ends up...
doing your own paint work is great ,even easy when you dont know anything about it but solving problems like this is what a painter does...so what I say is it looks pretty good......for amiture work....... and if you wanted it to look like a pro did it you should have gotten a pro to do it...what did you expect dont blame the cheap paint or the guys that mixed it and since you did it yourself you cant even blame the painter...So whos fault is it????
Painting is always EZ until theres a problem and it almost always goes back to the applicator or the person that bought the paint (owner)......
I get people coming to the shop saying look how bad this paint job is ,that Maaco does crap work ,I turn around and say it looks pretty good to me......I cant paint a car at all for 300.00 even if the paint was free.....
The first thing you should have done is look at the color when you opened the can and compared it to the car or better yet bring the car to the paint store and have them tint it ot( best possible match) before you buy it...

second...even a very close match is never a perfect match due to fading ,washing and a few other things so no painter in his right mind would ever paint without blending (with a few exceptions) ...or.unless they dont care if it matches or not..
So.learn how to blend, start with a closer mix and never paint if you think the color is off...once you paint it you own it ,its got your name on it...
Come on now, don't be so hard on him. You are totally right, but don't be so hard on him, this stuff has a steep learning curve.

I thought the same thing, why wasn't a test panel sprayed? It's so far off that you would know and not paint the hood. But I don't his experience level.

I have worked with painters that did this day after day, blows me away. When I painted every day I made SURE the color was right before I painted the car. And even then when the car came out of the booth it was checked and if it wasn't right I re-did it right there, I sure as heck didn't park it out in the lot for the bodyman to take it and finish it. I can't believe the mount of cars I have seen with a bodyman putting it together and the color is off a thousand miles! And this goes for doing body work too, when I got done with the bodywork it was paintable damn it! I sure as heck didn't want to have the paint shop find flaws so I had to start over in my stall, I made SURE it was primable before I gave it to them. But again, I have seen bodymen who get the car all cleaned up and blown off then give it to the paint shop for them to point out a bunch of flaws where it has to come back and get a full skim coat! WTH?

Anyway, this is a lesson learned and the original poster was told by the paint shop it was "matched", he took their word on it. Wy in the heck would they say it's matched when it's not?

Brian
Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

it looks like it needs a tad more silver to overcome the saturation of the blue. If you had to you could spray the metallic a little lighter to get the flakes to stand up a little more, but that's a pretty bad match. I'd buff the old paint a little bit before complaining as the old paint will look more saturated with a buff, which is the same direction it needs to go. Would be good to know what color that manufacture recommends it to be sealed/primered over, as metallics are semi transparent and the color behind it has a drastic effect on the overall color.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

The picture is kinda hard to tell.. but did you blend on the fender or just panel it?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

Which toner has the most grams??
Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM

that blue is one of the hardest colors to match,like the others have said spray test panels then blend
Old 01-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroaddog View Post
that blue is one of the hardest colors to match,like the others have said spray test panels then blend
yep I was at the place that painted the hood today, they agrred to repaint it at no cost
I am A printer by trade and Match colors 12 hrs a day sometimes.
and you are correct on the tough match as they gave color sample swatches 2-300 different blues in the ballpark of the hood, I could not pick a closer match. What will have to be done is modify the formulas.
Wonder if digital matching would come close??
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM

that works sometimes but that color can change that much with just air pressure and how wet its sprayed
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by demarques_191 View Post
Which toner has the most grams??
I get what you're saying and that's a good first look.` The other day I mixed some paint and the most grams were black. I did a paint stick check and it's hard to tell cause the stick will always look more saturated but it was waaay too dark and knew that in the morning I'd have to offset that black with a couple drops of white and a little silver that were in the formula. but someone beat me to the punch and just sprayed it. Came out dark but acceptable.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.