Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and front fenders, remove for paint?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

when painting metallic lots of painters like painting parts on the car so the flake has the same depth when settled. Solids aren't as important. If you paint a door on a stand and put it on a car the flakes will have most likely settled deeper into the paint making it slightly darker. I like the idea of painting your decklid and hood off the car because it's generally in the same horizontal position on a stand as it would be on the car. This way you can paint the quarter and fender jambs along with the outside of the car and your hood and decklid seperately along with randoms like your cowl vent and whatever other randoms come along. Of course painting on the car is safer. There's plenty of opinions out there on this.

I would personally take the fenders and hood/ hinges off to paint the firewall and might as well paint your fender jambs, decklid jambs, hood jambs, door jambs(body and door) in the same paint session if room allows. Then I'd put it back together apart from hood and decklid and paint the outside, then paint the hood and decklid seperately. I would start all this with my FINAL round of primer on the outside surface in guidecoat so I can sand any edges of paint overlapping the outside surface after jambing.

Last edited by tech69; 06-26-2012 at 12:33 AM.