Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is this hood ornament actual worth big bucks?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,119 Times in 995 Posts
When I come across something like that I do some research. I do know one thing, put it on eBay and leave out ONE key word and it isn't found and you get jack for it. Put in the right key words and it could make a difference of hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I put a rusty old motorcycle horn on there once. I had no idea what it was and simply listed all the names of old motorcycles. I did a search for vintage motorcycle names, I didn't just go by my memory or what I THOUGHT it was.

It ended up being from a 1948 Indian Chief and I got $450 for it.

I am a regular ebay seller and I have sold a lot of things that I honestly thought I would be throwing in the trash when the auction ended and there were no bid. Many of these things went for HUNDREDS of dollars. I am never surprised, I do some home work, do the best job listing it with the best key words and the LEAST amount of BS words "Nice shape" "Good chrome" "Cool looking" any BS like that out of the title. The title is for ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY, to pack in as many key words that someone may be SEARCHING with! That is the ONLY reason for the title.

You never know what you could have there, you honestly never know. Without any exaggeration what so ever, without KNOWING, it could literally be worth $10,000.

I'm being kinda crazy I admit, but it could be from a GM Motorama show car, who knows? Until you do some home work, we are all peeing in the wind.

Brian