Hood Scoop for 72 Nova - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 08:49 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hood Scoop for 72 Nova

this is a follow up to my earlier thread called "how to cut a hole in hood". I've been looking at different types of arrangements to give me more clearance for my air cleaner on my 72 nova and I am considering installing a aftermarket ABS plastic or fiberglass hood scoop.

I would like to keep my 14" round style air cleaner assembly, and run a taller 4" or 5" high air cleaner element rather than the more restrictive 3" high I am running now due to limited clearance. I don't want a "huge" project. I want something in can do on a weekend by myself in my garage with basic hand and power tools and still give the car a good look and give me additional clearance under the hood. How about a aftermarket hood scoop?

I need help with someone who has done this on a similar style Nova or other similar car. what size (length and width and height) should I go with? I want to stay as low as possible, like a 2" height. that should be enough clearance. I don't want it looking like some goofy attempt at a drag racing car because it is not. It is a strictly a street car.

see attached photo please

How are the scoops installed, doubleside tape, nuts & bolts? what do I have to watch for? do I care if it's fiberglass or plastic? Do I cut the hood Opening to the full inside width of the scoop, or just large enought for my 14" round air cleaner? will the hood strength and stability still be adequate after cutting it open? Can I paint the scoop myself with spray paint or should I bring it to a paint shop? should I use a cutting wheel or fine tooth jig saw to cut the hood?

thanks. Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDRM2116.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	12709  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Grafting a scoop on takes some major time to do it right, unless you just rivet it on and call it good enough. I really suggest buying an aftermarket cowl induction scoop preferrable steel but some of the fiberglass ones fit OK. If Goodmark makes one (check their website) get the part number then do a search for that part through Summit Racing's manufacturer search. Summit sells all the Goodmark stuff at good prices and shipping is free. Sell the original hood to recoop some of your investment. Just a suggestion, Bob
Old 06-10-2006, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

I have a 69 Nova that I just cut a hole in yesterday. Remember, if you get a 2" scoop, you will gain about 3 1/2" of clearence, because the stock Nova hood has support braces right where the air cleaner is, so you lose about 1 1/2" clearance that way. Check out my pictures. I am going to stick with this for now, then either weld on a cowl, or order a new hood later on down the road when it is ready for body work & paint.

If you notice, I didn't complete the full circle. On the back of the hood is a big brace that I decided to leave in place....

Also, this car doesn't get driven in the rain so I didn't mind cutting a big hole

LOL I think that is like a 1 1/2" filter too!!! Time to order the big 5" filter, and those cool top pieces that are filters instead of the chrome plate.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Grafting a scoop on takes some major time to do it right, unless you just rivet it on and call it good enough. I really suggest buying an aftermarket cowl induction scoop preferrable steel but some of the fiberglass ones fit OK. If Goodmark makes one (check their website) get the part number then do a search for that part through Summit Racing's manufacturer search. Summit sells all the Goodmark stuff at good prices and shipping is free. Sell the original hood to recoop some of your investment. Just a suggestion, Bob

Shipping is free huh?? The metal hoods with cowl induction from Goodmark are about $450 for Novas on Summit's website.... free shipping huh... sweet!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:34 AM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

When I ordered my hood from summit I had to pay a 80 dollar truck freight fee. I dont know why my hood only weighs 15lbs.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:56 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't know about buying a new cowl hood. sounds like it is hundreds of dollars for the hood, and then hundreds more to paint it. It could cost me like $700 just to get more clearance for an air cleaner. Not very practical if you ask me. Let me spend more time on it and get more feedback on just adding a scoop. They only cost about $75 and I can probably keep it black because my nova is yellow with black stripes. Don't get me wrong, I have $700 for car improvement but I just think it's too much just to add air filter clearance.

Lee
Old 06-11-2006, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Lee, The fiberglass scoop install proceedure has been covered here in the past so do a search for it for instructions. I start with a bare metal hood then prime with epoxy then use fuzor adhesive designed for this purpose, then regular fiberglass work to blend it into the hood. Never any problems using this proceedure and lifetime warranty using fuzor products. $38 for the fuzor kit, $20 for fiberlass materials, $10 fillers, $10 abrasives, $15 for epoxy primer, $15 primer surfacer, $75 scoop, 8+ hours labor $320

Buy a hood with scoop already installed, you'll be way ahead of the game money and timewise.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:56 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Lee, The fiberglass scoop install proceedure has been covered here in the past so do a search for it for instructions. I start with a bare metal hood then prime with epoxy then use fuzor adhesive designed for this purpose, then regular fiberglass work to blend it into the hood. Never any problems using this proceedure and lifetime warranty using fuzor products. $38 for the fuzor kit, $20 for fiberlass materials, $10 fillers, $10 abrasives, $15 for epoxy primer, $15 primer surfacer, $75 scoop, 8+ hours labor $320

Buy a hood with scoop already installed, you'll be way ahead of the game money and timewise.
good idea, but what about painting the hood? I don't have a paint shop or paint supplies, tools, etc. what's that going to cost me?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
good idea, but what about painting the hood? I don't have a paint shop or paint supplies, tools, etc. what's that going to cost me?
You NEED to buy these tools for next time. Badbob laid the groundwork, I'd be more inclined to do something a bit different so my hood didn't look like it was bought. Got any gearhead buddies willing to help? Save a few bucks using their tools, a small job like that isn't going to wear them out. Any small shops in the area? buy the paint and offer one of the guys a few bucks to spray after work. Rattle can, sandpaper and elbow grease will get you halfway there.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
You NEED to buy these tools for next time. Badbob laid the groundwork, I'd be more inclined to do something a bit different so my hood didn't look like it was bought. Got any gearhead buddies willing to help? Save a few bucks using their tools, a small job like that isn't going to wear them out. Any small shops in the area? buy the paint and offer one of the guys a few bucks to spray after work. Rattle can, sandpaper and elbow grease will get you halfway there.
Have you ever heard of or dealt with TAMRAZ auto parts on ebay. they sell collector car parts. They have an all steel aftermarket cowl hood for my nova already setup such that there is an opening in the steel substructure for a large round aircleaner at the cowl. It's about $350, primed and ready to paint. What do you think of something like that. I do have a friend with a paint spray setup that lives about an hour away. He can paint it for me. what will it cost me to match and buy the paint for my yellow nova.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.