Hot Rod Forum banner

Hood scoop problems

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  79Camaro74Vega 
#1 ·
I have a 79 Camaro, we had started to restore 8+ years ago and are about to get going on it again. We had purchased a scoop through a catalog and were not familiar with the different materials that scoops are made from. I do not remember what this particular scoop was called, but it buckled with heat and weather. What it a good material for a hood scoop to be make from? I would like for it to last this time.
Laura

#2 ·
Sounds like you had a urethane or plastic scoop the first time. Next time go with fiberglass or metal.

Centerline

#3 ·
Many cheaper scoops are made from a plastic called Cycolac. The scoops are usually made by vacuum-forming the heated plastic sheet over a mold.
If you are planning to mold the scoop onto your hood I would not recommend using the plastic scoops. Fiberglass is the most common material and it can be bonded to a metal hood with varying results.

#5 ·
The biggest problem with add on scoops is getting them to bond to your steel hood and stay that way. Your best option is to buy an after market fiberglass hood that already has the scoop design you wanted. There are several companies out there making good quality replacement hoods.

#7 ·
There is a steel cowl scoop advertised in Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding all the time. It's a smaller ad and is in the back part of the mag. If I find it this weekend I'll post it up.
Mark

#8 ·
hood scoop

I have the same problem, I put a fiberglass scoop on my truck, now I'ave been doing this for a long time and should have known it would not work, two different types of material, they expand and contract at different rates I put mine on in the heat of summer, so mine shrinks , when it warms up it goes back to normal, my advice is use the same type of material it expands and contract's at the same rate, and you won't have a problem, Doc

#9 ·
With the fiberglass hoods do they only use hood pins or can the hinges still be used?

Thank you, I hadn't even considered the expansion, and contracting issue, which would be a problem in MI, maybe that's why this one buckled / warped.

I think that the idea of a metal scoop sounds like a good option.

I'll have to do some scouting around for sources.

Thank You.

Laura

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.