Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Your absolutly right shims do look funky.but the true pros would bend the hinge or the mounting surface to bring it up...If I wanted to lower that corner I would simply push the hood open a little farther than it wants to go.(bending both just a little)...OR if the corner is to low I would stick a piece of wood between the hinge and CLOSE the hood a little more than it wants to go .....works every time....kinda like fixing a sprung door.....when I see shims I see inexperianced help doing cobbled up repairs,especially in a car that shouldnt have ANY ,repaired or not....I guess back when shims were used at the factory to get panels to fit,they were exceptable to most but not now days.Sorry Brian I just cant go along with this one its like someone showing off a duplicolor paint job and recomending everyone use it.....
We are all entitled to our opinion. The thing is, if someone doesn't understand how this could be done, could they understand how to bend the hinge? Also, we are talking about a concept where you can quickly adjust something without any damage, without any steep learning curve, with just a quick check one can see if the panel is going to be aligned at all.

And for someone who isn't as talented as you who could be reading this, the shim is a quick fix that most anyone is capible of doing.

I certainly see your point in that making it work by correcting the problem is the "best" way to go, while putting a shim there is the "bestest".

There are PILES of shims on a sixties GM car, do you eliminate all of them when restoring a car? No, unless you are making some mind blowing show car you would be using stacks of them on the front fenders for instance. What is one more on the trunk hinge to make a perfect fit? I don't know, I just don't see that big of a deal but also see your point and agree that you could eliminate them by bending the hinge.

Brian