Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
there's 2-3 areas on fenders that must have shims, but do you see factory shims on the hoods and decks?
Not on these cars because frankly they didn't care about getting them perfect, they fit like CRAP from the factory by todays standards. The stacks of shims on the fenders, heck, that was just to get them "close enough" and they were MILES, hundreds of MILES from the standards we have became accustom to.

I have seen shims on late model car trunk hinges though. But it is a moot point because the assembly process and the design of the car has all but eliminated ANY shims what so ever. There isn't even a slot in the friggin holes on most cars hinges! They bolt them DIRECTLY on with no alignment what so ever and they fit perfect.

But getting back to the old cars. I have owned a number of 65 Skylarks and they all had these big dents on the other side of the trunk lid in the structure right in the middle between the hinges. I had to own a few of them before I realized this wasn't a coincidence but these dents were put there by the factory to apparently hammering up the structure or by blocking it and shutting the lid (as I showed to bend a hinge) to bend up the trunk in the middle to make it fit! So should I have not repaired these dents in my trunk lid? That is after all how the factory did it and I want to do it the same as the factory right?

Henry, every cars build is not the same. If I was doing a nut job all out restoration I wouldn't even think about using shims, but for your average car like my Gran Sport, so the heck what if there is a shim that NO ONE is going to see unless you point it out to them. On my trunk lid after I installed the rubbers it was a little high, I painted a 1/16" shim and put it there, you can't see it unless you WANT to, and the trunk fits **** which is what everyone is going to see.

Brian